Arizona Highways Cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arizona Highways Cover

My great grandmother had the wherewithal to save and keep this copy of the July 1947 edition of AH in near perfect condition. Some years ago I asked my dad if I could scan the cover and another photograph inside and I’ve since had prints made that came out beautifully. I grew up with these images because she had two oil paintings, that were done from the photographs, hanging in the kitchen area. Not commissioned and sorry, I don’t know the artists name. These two magnificent women and the infant are Navajo if I recall the article correctly. Not bad image quality for 74 year old magazine photos.
    Last edited by Missouri Breaks; 07-09-2021, 08:31 PM.

Beautiful people, although I am not an expert on the Navajo, I just worked for a couple and the lady grew up with the Navajo people. Her father translated the Bible into the Navajo language. We talked for quite some time and she told me all kinds of things about the Navajo people. She even gave me some books about the Navajo that are very interesting. Anyways, the way the lady has her hair tied up in the second picture is very Navajo (although other groups use the same technique). The back board the baby is in looks Navajo to me. The Navajo learned silver smithing and weaving wool from the Spanish and that first gal looks like she has some silver bling. Thanks for sharing your pictures.
    South Carolina

Comment

• Hal Gorges
      Hal Gorges commented
      Editing a comment
      Good info, thx.

Awesome photos the baby in the papoose is probably in his/her 70s if still living. Thanks for sharing.
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• Missouri Breaks
      Missouri Breaks commented
      Editing a comment
      I thought of that after I posted it, for the first time after all these years. It’s more likely than we might think that he’s(looks like a boy to me…) aware of the picture as it may have been something the family kept. Be neat to know though.

The little guy looks a little “put out”. Lol
    South Dakota

Comment

• Missouri Breaks
      Missouri Breaks commented
      Editing a comment
      Funny and exactly. It’s a terrific expression.

Very fun posts .

Comment

That baby is not amused. Lol
      Western Kentucky

Comment

Working...
      X