No announcement yet.

Stone alignment mystery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The points you found span about 9000 years although the oldest are late paleo. I live about 75 miles east of you and I'm very familiar with the area. I have no doubt they were placed there by humans at great effort. I have no clue if that was 200 years ago or 12000 years ago. A careful excavation could help answer but it's very possible a paleo camp existed there long before the stones were set.

Comment

I appreciate all the comments and interest, this is a great group
      2ET703 South Central Texas

Comment

Interesting thread...I like the foundation theory
        SW Connecticut

Comment

Originally posted by Tam View Post
          I have driven the roads in Cal with the El Camino Real green bell as a road marker. There are many stops along the way that were back then, goods stores . Like the old westerns supply stores . When you stated triangle my guess was a safe haven for sleeping . Camping over night safe behind rocks . I can’t imagine that history is not written down in some old county books .
          We have an area in. S Georgia that was attacked by the creek Indians till the very late 1800’s . All homes built in the 1900’s are there. They wrote about forts and havens being attacked .
          Dig a little in that direction and you might find your answer .
          the routes of these trails in the area are loosely defined, the trail would shift north or south depending on conditions, spent some.time at the library, they have some records of the trail system, most of the available info is more related to the larger well known sites in the area, there is a really cool website called oldmapsonline dot org that shows historic maps, didn't really help either, they have a huge map at the Washington on the Brazos museum that shows the trail about in the right spot, no mention of any structures, another issue that we have to contend with , prior to 1900 prairie fires burned the courthouse twice, loosing records on both accounts, weigh station was one of my first theorys when we did the original excavation
          Last edited by LongStride; 08-16-2021, 02:07 PM.

Comment

I would bet it is prehistoric. I cant see where those stones were altered much if any. It seems to me that post contact, there would have been iron tools to shape the stones. I'm intrigued.

Comment

mystery continues, metal detected the area with my cool new Nokta Makro metal detector and found no metal except a few bottle caps , will go back in winter when the brush is thinned out and do more screen dig test as well as more metal detecting
              Attached Files

Comment

Great thread. Much to ponder. There is a stone path about 40 miles from here. It's said to be made as a war path by the natives. I visited it several times. Stones laid vertical and horizontal. It looked European to me. Took the metal detector, and found the tip of an Iron pick embedded in the ground. So much for the Native solution. I really don't believe that hap those types of picks. K
                Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

Working...
                X