Any artists out there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any artists out there?

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this thread, but I didn't see another category that looked close.

I was wondering fo there are any artists on this site? I paint wildlife- mostly whales and birds.

Recently, however, I found a "squibnocket" on a beach in Gloucester, MA and that got me thinking about the people who made it and visited that spot thousands of years ago. I did some reading and found out that - according to Samuel De Champlain who first visited the area in 1606 - some of the more permanent buildings the native people had built by the coast featured whale bones as rafters and/or support beams.

I imagined the people who made the squibnocket I found venturing down to the beach on an early Spring evening and finding the skeleton of a whale (in this case a blue whale). They had spent the Winter 20-30 miles inland to escape the harsh weather on the coast so they didn't see the whale with flesh on it when it first came ashore (maybe around now - mid-January). So by the time they got there it was just a skeleton. Anyway, this is how it turned out. I'm pretty pleased with it. It's not my best by a looooooong shot but it's my first ever attempt at painting this particular species of animal (Homo sapiens) so it's a learning curve. I deliberately left the faces kind of obscure so people could fill in the facial details however they like in their mind.

There must be some other artists out there. What have you got?!?!?
    Attached Files

Thats a really cool painting, nice job! Sorry im not a painter, but do enjoy art.
    Benny / Western Highland Rim / Tennessee

Comment

Very nice! Thanks for sharing your work
      Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

I like the painting. I'm a sort of an artist: My medium is rock.
        Michigan Yooper
        If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• Cecilia
          Cecilia commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, it is!

Well done with just the right artistic license that enabled you to capture the mood of an event lost in time
        Last edited by Hal Gorges; 01-08-2022, 09:14 PM.
        Floridaboy.

Comment

I am trying to learn to paint. I have seen photos of wale bones used as building materials.
          Attached Files

Comment

• Atlantic City
            Atlantic City commented
            Editing a comment
            Awesome! They are all great. I especially like the one of the young birds (Ospreys?).You stayed close to the reference but removed some distracting elements and really enhanced the lighting and color from the photo. Well done!
            Last edited by Atlantic City; 01-09-2022, 08:12 AM.

• dougachim
            dougachim commented
            Editing a comment
            They are Red Tail Hawks

This is what I did for a living..Marilyn is 10’ tall but she was taller than that in real life..This display only lasted 6months,then time for a new advertisement..One day Miss June said doesn’t it bother you when it’s blocked out, to which I replied, they paid for it , they can do whatever they want with it, old Polaroids didn’t quite capture the quality but you get the idea.Billboard art is painted so it looks good from down the road..Believe it or not after 63 years of painting these things a few of the original wood signs are still standing..The largest I ever painted was20x80’ on site.Thanks for the 👀.something a little different We are extinct,well not quite yet.

Click image for larger version

Name:	D0804265-DB01-46DD-B60C-A282B92490F9.jpeg
Views:	223
Size:	153.2 KB
ID:	609432
          Floridaboy.

Comment

• Atlantic City
            Atlantic City commented
            Editing a comment
            Wow. Incredible work!. And the impermenence of them reminds of those sand mandalas that monks put so much time into creating all the while knowing that they will wiped away (literally) soon after finishing.

• Cecilia
            Cecilia commented
            Editing a comment
            When I was kid, teacher had me and another kid who doodled attempt big colored-chalk mural. What a bust! What we could do with sheets of paper and pencils, we could not do BIG!

Hal, that is ability not all us amateur artists have!

P.s. looky those words (and analogy, to boot) Atlantic uses to describe your work!
            Last edited by Cecilia; 01-09-2022, 10:50 AM.

Nice job. I do paint, but not very well.
          South Carolina

Comment

• Hal Gorges
            Hal Gorges commented
            Editing a comment
            Good art is when you capture the essence of a thought in a picture so others can see, smell, feel what you intended them to see, smell, feel..And I’m sure yours has essence ..You won’t find that in any dictionary 😕
            Last edited by Hal Gorges; 01-09-2022, 10:12 AM.

• Cecilia
            Cecilia commented
            Editing a comment
            I agree, Hal! I know Jo as friend, so I know she is artist….

• Josie
            Josie commented
            Editing a comment
            Ha! I’m no artist. My last piece has a canoe in a marsh and my canoe looks like a banana. I just put it aside. I’ll fix it one day.

Atlantic, I did not get to welcome you when you joined us a few days ago. So, lemme say now, you are in forum where you will be appreciated! Your work is phenomenal! And yes, I imagine all of us have an artist somewhere inside…(I still fool around with colored chalk!):
          Click image for larger version  Name:	A2CD7C91-497D-4C6E-BE94-A80443E2DB66.jpeg Views:	5 Size:	54.9 KB ID:	609468 Click image for larger version  Name:	D355CAC6-3CB0-4FBF-85DA-4272CDB766C2.jpeg Views:	3 Size:	98.2 KB ID:	609471

O, and you paint very well with words, too—-my favorite medium!
          Last edited by Cecilia; 01-09-2022, 11:16 AM.
          Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

• Atlantic City
            Atlantic City commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks! Your chalk drawing is great.

The painting of the people and the whale skeleton is partially to blame for me joining the forum a few days ago. When I was researching what the people would have been wearing (in an attempt to get all aspects of the painting as accurate as possible) it rekindled there desire to go hunting. It's been fun! I've found a few cool things and that includes this forum which is a treasure trove of knowledge and I information that I wish I had when I was a teenager and used to find stuff on my uncles farm in NC!!!

• Hal Gorges
            Hal Gorges commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you..Very artie..No jokes this time ..Painting subjects you love is fun and it shows 😉

Always been fascinated with people who can replicate a thought or feeling on canvas. Some great work posted here. Same with amazing singing voices. What gives people the ability to do that?
          I took an art class in high school. Was able to appeal to everyone’s sense of smell. They all agreed my painting stunk. I want get into my “rich” singing voice except to say my church thought it was so “rich” I should probably hold back a bit so as not to embarrass others.
          Northern Ky

Comment

• Cecilia
            Cecilia commented
            Editing a comment
            I can relate. It must be so cathartic be able belt out songs on key!

• Hal Gorges
            Hal Gorges commented
            Editing a comment
            That’s too funny Owen...had to look up more words on this post than I have in a month.

Some nice work! Yeah I paint... landscapes and abstracts. Currently have a 30 piece show on display at the Lebanon Harmon House Museum.

Name:	With the Hopewell.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	169.0 KB
ID:	609521
          "With the Hopewell"

Name:	west of.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	172.6 KB
ID:	609522
          "West of New Burlington"
          Since you asked... you can see more at SouthRiverStudio.FineArt .
          fldwlkr
          Headwaters of the Little Miami, Ohio

Comment

• Atlantic City
            Atlantic City commented
            Editing a comment
            What medium are those? They're beautiful.

• Cecilia
            Cecilia commented
            Editing a comment
            Dang! and Wowie Zowie!!
            Last edited by Cecilia; 01-09-2022, 10:29 PM.

They are watercolor on strathmore paper. In my abstract paintings, I have been weaving old chrome from vintage cars into my work. While I am out looking for points and bottles I find interesting bits of rides from the past. Drag it home, clean it up, create something new with it.
          Keep painting... it's good for the soul fldwlkr
          Headwaters of the Little Miami, Ohio

Comment

never stop creating art, most my family are musicians or artist, metal art is one of my preferred mediums, currently project : designed and built my own cabin in the woods that I now live in, about 5 years into that one now, maybe couple more years to finish still
            Attached Files
            2ET703 South Central Texas

Comment

• Cecilia
              Cecilia commented
              Editing a comment
              Beautiful!

What beautyful work, My drawings of people have 3rd grade stick legs, no tallent at all. I do a lot of metal work, knives mostly. This one was forged from a 85 buick front spring and a 2 in ball bearing.Total length is 14 in Made a wood scabbard as I don't do leather. Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail (2a).jpg
Views:	101
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	610029Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail (2b).jpg
Views:	91
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	610030
            SE IA

Comment

• Atlantic City
              Atlantic City commented
              Editing a comment
              Now THAT is cool!!!

• Owen70
              Owen70 commented
              Editing a comment
              Beautiful!

• dougachim
              dougachim commented
              Editing a comment
              Nice knife, I have most the tools, anvil, blower, everything but a forge and coal,
          Working...
          X