Not sure about type.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not sure about type.

I've noticed alot of comments about point's not being this type or that type because of the area found. i do understand that most point types are in general area's. But i also believe point's we're traded people wander . Speaking only here in utah I've found point's that don't make sense being here. I and hunting partners have found coastal point's plains point's point's from oregon, nevada .... what's your opinions...
    Utah

Yes yes yes, my favorite artifact subject!

A coupla days ago, I said in passing comment we have Big Sandys here. Yet, we are few miles (hundreds) from where they are “indigenous “. I myself have dug up lil spalls obsidian in my Georgia backyard which musta been transported by last known folks who lived here, Euche and Kiokees, originally from Southwest USA. Being rock digger, transported lithics fascinating, but transported points and tools even more so.

Magellan, Columbus, Lewis and Clark just a few names we all know from school, but those folks always, always been out there…. you know, those folks always wondering what’s just beyond horizon….

I have many academic articles re transported stuff, if you’re interested in reading some heavy-duty scientific-testing research
    Last edited by Cecilia; 01-22-2022, 02:34 PM.
    Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

• Hal Gorges
      Hal Gorges commented
      Editing a comment
      🤔. Yes ! Always out there...Boss told me one time I was outstanding in my field..Well maybe he said it a little differently.
      Last edited by Hal Gorges; 01-22-2022, 03:10 PM.

• Hoss
      Hoss commented
      Editing a comment
      I knew a guy named red Barns he was a farmer and he was always outstanding on his field. One day I aksed him if he heard about the boy scouts? He said yup they are intents!

• Hal Gorges
      Hal Gorges commented
      Editing a comment
      That’s too funny Hoss.😂

Just for thought... I dug a very fine and unique point here in East Tx. Dr Collins at TSTU conclude it to be a South American Paleo. The material believed quarried in Brazil. First stage perfection.

i remain somewhat skeptical but,, I don't know what else to say. That's only 5,000 or so miles.
    Last edited by Garguy; 01-22-2022, 02:53 PM.

Comment

• Artifascination
      Artifascination commented
      Editing a comment
      That is mind blowing! Awesome history straight from the finder!

• Cecilia
      Cecilia commented
      Editing a comment
      Again, yes yes yes! There is a whole sub-group archeologists who would say same!

• smbore
      smbore commented
      Editing a comment
      thats just a great find. excellent example.

Absolutely! I have found a coral Newnan from Florida on one of my sites here in Southern Arkansas. I have a kerrville knife made from Edwards chert that was found here in Arkansas. Long ways from central Texas or Florida but it made it here somehow. We also find Burlington chert from the Ozarks down here. Poverty point is an ancient mound builders site located on the Macon bayou just south of me and according to their museum 90% of the stone artifacts recovered there were from long distance trade. The Spiro mounds site recovered obsidian from the west coast and different chert types from all over the eastern states. There were some amazing Dover chert Duck River blades from Tennessee recovered there also. I acquired a large 15 1/2” Dover blade that was found by Theodore Souter in Central Arkansas. It is one of 2 that has been found in the state of Arkansas and was believed to have been traded in from Tennessee to the Spiro and then made its way to Central Arkansas. It is believed that these trade sites were equivalent to an ancient New York City. Makes you wonder about all the things that we don’t know.
    SE ARKANSAS

Comment

• smbore
      smbore commented
      Editing a comment
      Definitely does.

• Cecilia
      Cecilia commented
      Editing a comment
      Wagging my tail!

Stuff was absolutely traded great distances..Take UpNorth(Brad) for instance, he finds Florida points in his area (just kidding)...But just to give the other hand a fair shake, there’s only so many shapes a point can be..And then there’s the twilight zone points...
    Floridaboy.

Comment

I've seen people shut down on a type that just is what it is.i dont except that the material and artifacts weren't traded or traveled... i know here in utah it was once a great big ol lake. I've got cascade point's from Oregon found on ancient shore line's. makes one wonder if they used boats here.?
      Utah

Comment

• Artifascination
        Artifascination commented
        Editing a comment
        If there was water there is no doubt they used boats.

• Cecilia
        Cecilia commented
        Editing a comment
        There’s Mayan-type stuff found all along gulf of Mexico. Some of the pottery clay from South America, patterns and forms all Mayan. They were known to navigate home-lands by canoe (some of them huge). It’s hard to add 2 + 2 and not get 4.
        Last edited by Cecilia; 01-22-2022, 05:19 PM.

Originally posted by Hal Gorges View Post
      Stuff was absolutely traded great distances..Take UpNorth(Brad) for instance, he finds Florida points in his area (just kidding)...But just to give the other hand a fair shake, there’s only so many shapes a point can be..And then there’s the twilight zone points...
      Yeah he finds points that would fit perfectly in Wells frames from East Tx

Comment

This is why I always center on the lithic. But no doubt, wherever member of the People went, ideas (typology) went with him/her.
        Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

• smbore
          smbore commented
          Editing a comment
          very true.

interesting read
        Utah

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	D42E78D8-FBBA-4DA9-82ED-0F5E758A6A46.jpeg
Views:	220
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	611431 Yes, no doubt they traveled great distances.
          even more so in the woodland/ Mississippian era.
          many points I find in the upper Midwest look very similar to points found in the s.e., many of which are made in different periods perhaps. What we call dicksons up here, closely resembles a pickwick in the southeast… here’s a pic. of a raddatz point, this one has seen many resharpenings and found in s.e.Minnesota.
          if this point was found in Alabama, for example. It would likely be typed as a big sandy….✌️
          Southeastern Minnesota’s driftless area

Comment

• UpNorth
            UpNorth commented
            Editing a comment
            Or is it a big sandy?…. Lol….👍

• Cecilia
            Cecilia commented
            Editing a comment
            Y’all not making fun of me, are you?! (First thing thot Big Sandy!… yikes, have a learned a lil typology!?)

• Josie
            Josie commented
            Editing a comment
            That really does look like a Big Sandy

Looks like a sandy to me

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	0DD3C0E1-4ECC-4275-8818-ED4543916933.jpeg
Views:	211
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	611442 The big sandy goes as far north as central Illinois.
            calling it a big sandy, doesn’t fly with me… I’m hundreds of miles north of central Illinois… take a look at the raddatz, these are common in Minnesota…. Looks like raddatz and big sandy are in the same cluster… a raddatz is the logical type for my area, if there is to be a big sandy here it would be extremely rare I.m.o….. keep kick’n dirt…✌️
            Southeastern Minnesota’s driftless area

Comment

North.... I suspect Big Sandy and Raddatz are the same thing with some evolutionary changes.

Comment

• UpNorth
                UpNorth commented
                Editing a comment
                👍

• Cecilia
                Cecilia commented
                Editing a comment
                Yep

my clovis is made of munsungan chert. Personal find Sandy Hook CT. Munsungan sources 450 miles North in Maine.
              TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Working...
              X