Knapping slate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knapping slate

over the many years of my wandering I've found a few of these in chipping beds/camps i always figured they were a Platform fer something and i happened to find this blirp i found interesting... pecking and small wear lines ....
    Utah

Is there a chance that that pecking is modern? I'm only saying cause of the lighter color.
    Missouri

Comment

• smbore
      smbore commented
      Editing a comment
      its basically sand or dirt in the peck marks.

• outlaws15
      outlaws15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Cool, didn't know that. Thanks

• Mattern
      Mattern commented
      Editing a comment
      That is a good question! Though I have seen and found pecked objects as old as Archaic, and the bottom of the peck dimples look fresh. I know it doesn't make sense but it is fact. K

It looks like an anvil stone to me.👍..I don’t got one 🙁
    Floridaboy.

Comment

Hey Darrel, That's a cool artifact. Perhaps an anvil stone as Hal suggests. Perhaps used like my Bison Hide to support the point being knapped as your first photo suggests. The scratches: Perhaps the edge of the knapped point was abraded on this slab. Abrading has always been an important part of flint-knapping.
      Michigan Yooper
      If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Interesting piece, how thick is it? That left side and corner look really well formed. Aside from portability and "lap comfort" I imagine an anvil stone would be pretty hefty. If it's thin, it might be too fragile.

The Anasazi & Hohokam used Slate Palettes, and I believe the Fremont Culture had some similar items. Any chance those are broken preforms?
        Last edited by clovisoid; 02-23-2022, 01:45 PM.
        Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

• smbore
          smbore commented
          Editing a comment
          there interesting to me.. it's a fremont piece i think it to brittle to be a preform. i have another one i swear has glyphs on it. i posted it on here n no one could see what i was. if you could see the other pieces my cousin found you'd be a believer it was a tablet. unfortunately she died and I haven't had contact with her husband to get a pic of it.

Utah

Comment

Palettes are typically pretty thin. Preform in the sense that it wasn't finished, but it would already be thinned out.

I see some shapes there, this is my fat finger on an iPhone screen, so not an exact tracing. Paper and charcoal is a good way to get a "rubbing" which shows designs better.

Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

• smbore
            smbore commented
            Editing a comment
            those are parts of what i see. i got ya now on the preform..

Utah

Comment

That’s interesting. I live on what is called the Carolina Slate Belt. I’ve been collecting slate and placing on the edge of the fields because some pieces seem artifactual. I’ve never thought of an anvil. But that makes sense. I do have two that I believe were used as a hoe and others that look like the edges were worked into something, scraper perhaps. Also, I find slate shaped into a thick triangular shape. Perfectly triangular. Definitely not for a beginner like me to be finding, so I don’t know what they are, if anything. Now I have to go look at my piles on the edges of the fields and think anvil, maybe. 🤔
            South Carolina

Comment

• Cecilia
              Cecilia commented
              Editing a comment
              😳🤭

• smbore
              smbore commented
              Editing a comment
              lets see them.

O man, o man, I have prolly 1/2 dozen slate “plates”. Some thick, and sure looked worked… I thot when first understood maybe some my rocks artifacts, they could be metates. (Yeah, no tell-tale distinctive dip, and sure don’t live Texas…) But, gonna go gather up…. Yay! Slate, not Quartz!
            Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

• smbore
              smbore commented
              Editing a comment
              post em....
          Working...
          X