NA doll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NA doll

My Mom played with this as a child. Her Grandma made it for her. I cant remember what this type of doll was called. Figured somebody here would refresh my gray matter

Thats a Skookum Doll. My mom has one that looks very similar. The face is made like a cup right? Inside my moms its filled with straw. I think they date from like the 1920’s to the 50’s
    call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

• Fla.Hillbilly
      Fla.Hillbilly commented
      Editing a comment
      dont know. My mom gave it to me before she died. Its been in that shadow box for about 20yrs. Looks like I would have to destroy the back to get it open

You dont have to take it out. Just google Skookum dolls. Yours is in good condition too! I looked em up as well, you can date them by what the feet are made from. The older ones had leather moccasins, then they were felt covered, then plastic

Comment

felt. kinda matches blanket

Comment

The one my mom has is holding a baby, and her’s has the felt feet as well.

Comment

• Fla.Hillbilly
          Fla.Hillbilly commented
          Editing a comment
          this one has a baby on back

Thanks. Now I can't unsee this. Dolls have always creeped me out, lol. Neat your mom kept it.

Comment

• Fla.Hillbilly
          Fla.Hillbilly commented
          Editing a comment
          found it while reading about the dolls. Ill see if I can find it again

• Fla.Hillbilly
          Fla.Hillbilly commented
          Editing a comment
          The original skookums were first produced by Mary McAboy in Missoula, Montana.  In 1913, McAboy obtained a US patent for a brave-style doll.  She registered the skookum name as a trademark in 1919, as well as the “Bully Good” trademark.  Interestingly enough, McAboy attributed the word skookum to a Siwash Indian language, claiming it meant “bully good.”  Unfortunately, there is no such Indian tribe or language as Siwash on the North American continent.  Salishan is the language used by the Algonquin, Flathead and Plateau tribes.  They call themselves “Salish” which means “the people.”  It is easy to see how this name may have morphed into Siwash.  The Makah tribe of the Northwest, who also use the Salishan language, translate the word skookum to mean an evil spirit. The Arrow Novelty Company took over the manufacturing of the dolls in 1920.  Composition heads were painted with life-like facial features.  They represented Indians of various tribes and were used for educational purposes in schools throughout the United States. In 1929, the H. H. Tammen Co. of Denver and Los Angeles took over production.  Between 1917 and 1949, the skookum dolls were mass-produced.  Bodies were built from an oblong stick of wood covered with a beacon blanket.  The legs and feet were made of light pine wood with the feet wrapped in brown masking tape.  The hair was either human, horse or mohair.  Sizes ran from papooses at 3 1/2'” to store display models of 34”.  The eyes were painted on and focused to either the right or left, never straight ahead.  This is because many tribes believe that you should never look someone straight in the eye.  Doing so means you are either insulting them, do not believe them, or are trying to capture their soul.    Exact dating of a skookum is very difficult.  McAboy designed many different tribes of dolls by simply using different blanket styles, beading and cradleboards.  Also, the use of cottage industry methods lent itself to many variations in doll style, dress and appearance. The first labels were oval-shaped paper and were applied to one foot of the doll.  The next labels were separate pieces of artwork – either a sunrise or a fylfot.  The fylfot is an ancient religious symbol that has been used by Indians for centuries and is sometimes called the “whirling log.”  When Hitler came to power in Germany, he adopted the symbol and it became known as the swastika.  Later production had a design resembling an arrowhead. Are you interested in collecting Skookum dolls? Click here to view our complete collection of dolls for sale.

• ApacheNDN
          ApacheNDN commented
          Editing a comment
          Neat. Thanks for the link. As it happens my favorite oyster type. I know in my tribe, in the old days it was just rude to stare someone in the eyes. My mom is mostly of European decent and would get on to me for following this habit from my dad and would tell me that if you don't look someone in the eyes when conversing then you were being deceitful.

Nice looking Skookum you got there. I have several in my Garage LOL I have to dig them out.
        TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Working...
        X