• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family photo

Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220226_042436797.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	627030 Don't usually share this stuff, but Ii thought maybe some of you might find it interesting. This is a pic taken by my grandfather while he was a POW with the rest of my family/tribe of one of Nantan (chief) Naiche's daughters, Amelia, during her Na'i'ess or puberty ceremony at Ft. Sill Oklahoma. Her dress would have been made for this purpose by her mother. Naiche was the brother of Taza, who were the s ons of Cochise.

Great photo family pride.

Comment

Thank you sir. I have several from this time. These are pretty much the only pics like this in existence. My grandfather was given a box camera and since he had taken a job as a scout for extra rations he befriended some of the soldiers and they showed him how to use it, and would send it off to Kodak to be developed. Most of the other pics seen in history books are from the meeting at Canyon de los Embuedos to work out my family's surrender to the government. One of those pics were used for the original homeland security meme.

Comment

Thats awesome. Wish I had things like that of my family. Was able to trace back to when they left NC just before the Res. was instituted and there migration to Buncombe NC down into Ga. and Homestead Fl. were my Gpa was born in 1910. Then up to Daytona

Comment

• ApacheNDN
          ApacheNDN commented
          Editing a comment
          Sorry, I responded accidentally to your comment on Gregs comment. You Seminole?

• Fla.Hillbilly
          Fla.Hillbilly commented
          Editing a comment
          Cherokee. Gpa's last name Woodward

• ApacheNDN
          ApacheNDN commented
          Editing a comment
          Ahh ok. I was thinking since they went to Florida they were Seminoles. Don't know a whole lot about Cherokee. They have a neat channel on YouTube called Osiyo TV. Been learning quite a bit through that. But I was raised around my Apache family, so that's what I know.

That is some pretty cool and unique family history, thanks for sharing.
        Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

• ApacheNDN
          ApacheNDN commented
          Editing a comment
          Glad to share, Florida was the first place my family was kept after the surrender.The men were kept at the Spanish fort in St. Augustine.

• ApacheNDN
          ApacheNDN commented
          Editing a comment
          Sorry, still glad to share. That comment was for Hillbilly.

Beautiful photo, thank you
        2ET703 South Central Texas

Comment

That’s just incredible.

Comment

Some amazing work went into that outfit. Super cool pic.

Comment

• ApacheNDN
              ApacheNDN commented
              Editing a comment
              Lots of work! Between the skirt, blouse, and boots around 3-4 deer hides. A pair of Kepan, Apache boots, takes almost one hide alone. And back in the day they were, of course, all brain tanned. And you can't see it, but part or all was dyed yellow by pounding yellow ochre into the hide, then the bead work, and the tin cones that are all had rolled, etc. They are very heavy, I have handled my cousins' dresses. It's a very important ceremony, maybe the most important for my people.

That’s an awesome photo, I’m sure you treasure it. Wish we could see her outfit it looks amazing. I enjoy learning the traditions. Thanks for sharing.
            South Carolina

Comment

I do, I have quite a few photos, as do some of my cousins. I donated my negatives to my tribe. Lately I have been seeing some of them show up in various publications, history books, etc. Which is a good thing. Lots of books have been written about my family because of Geronimo, But few people know they were held in captivity until 1914!

Comment

Apache, that is a real piece of history. Period dress pictures like that are priceless. And to have your Grandmothers ceremonial outfit picture is more then a treasure. These types really show the true Native pride. Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful Picture. May I save it to my computer? Kim
                Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

Go for it. Thanks for asking. She wasn't Grandmother. She was My grandfather second cousin. Cochise married one of my great greast grandfather Mangas Coloradas' daughters, which was one of my grandfather's Aunts. Amelia Naiche was one of Cochise's granddaughters. There aren't any pics of my grandmothers ceremony.

Comment

• Mattern
                    Mattern commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks for the correction. I will cherish this picture, and add it to my collection. K

Well thank you, I am proud of my family.

Comment

Well this is interesting and thank you for the share . You should show us the other photos . Big history here !

Comment

Working...
                  X