More Photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Photos

This pic is not quite the full pic as it has been matted and in frame with museum glass. The neat part you can partially see is in upper left corner. It's a sign that reads "Office Apache Prisoners of War"' It was a pic of the last meeting with the remaining family leaders of my tribe in 1914 after they had negotiated their release. Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220419_024345570 (2).jpg
Views:	307
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	627591 A little more than half the tribe were released in 1913 upon agreeing to move to the Mescalero Apache reservation at Ruidoso, NM. The members that remained were not interested in living on a reservation and the Mescalero were different from us, the Chiricahua Apache. The ones who remained in Oklahoma were given 80 acres each for every man, woman, and child, of leftover allotment lands. I myself still own some of these allotments.

Thanks for sharing that ...Really liking these post’s
    Floridaboy.

Comment

• ApacheNDN
      ApacheNDN commented
      Editing a comment
      You're welcome. I didn't go too far into it, but there are some of Geronimo's men in that pic.

Unique history, Thanks for sharing
    South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

Historic family photos are real treasures!
      Here's a few podcasts links that adds some perspective to the background..

Apache Wars Ep1: “Red Sleeves”
      LEGENDS OF THE OLD WEST presented by Black Barrel Media. Over the course of two centuries, the Apache rise to become the dominant raiding society in the land...

Apache Wars Ep2: "The Bascom Affair"
      LEGENDS OF THE OLD WEST presented by Black Barrel Media. When an American boy goes missing in Arizona, the U.S. military accuses Cochise of kidnapping and tr...

Apache Wars Ep3: “Three Castles”
      LEGENDS OF THE OLD WEST presented by Black Barrel Media. Apache chief Victorio leads his people off the San Carlos Reservation in search of a better home. Th...

Apache Wars Ep4: “Geronimo”
      LEGENDS OF THE OLD WEST presented by Black Barrel Media. Geronimo finally takes his place as a leader during the final years of the Apache Wars. To avenge th...

Geronimo died at Fort Sill, Oklahoma in 1909

Last edited by Olden; 04-19-2022, 10:42 AM.
      If the women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Comment

• ApacheNDN
        ApacheNDN commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, I'll check out the podcasts sometime. Most of those types of things are information obtained from my family. For years books were written about us by non Apache people. Then, eventually someone came up with the novel idea to ask the people who were there,and lived it, what happened. I remember there always being authors and different types of people hanging around trying to get our side of things. One of the few people successful in this endeavor was Angie Debo. She actually made friends with some of the families and even then it was years before anyone would tell her anything. Also, I don't think the Wikipedia references Geronimo's Grandfather, Chief Mahko. Who is the Grandfather of most of the last warriors to surrender, incidentally Mahko was one of my great grandfathers as well.

• ApacheNDN
        ApacheNDN commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh yeah, I forgot another aithor, Eve Ball.

In the middle row, the Apache man with the dark coat and white shirt seems like a leader. Don’t want to assume but he has a presence about him. Amazing photo!

Comment

• ApacheNDN
        ApacheNDN commented
        Editing a comment
        That man was Betzinez, later took on the name Jason Betzinez. He was a warrior apprentice and horse holder for Goyaklah (Geronimo). He is buried near Geronimo at Ft. Sill. The rumor was that he and his mother dug Geronimo up after his burial and snuck him to the Southwest and reburied him in an undisclosed location. Most people in the tribe doubt this due to our taboos concerning dead people and the ghost sickness. Beside the fact that Geronimo was a very powerful medicine man and warrior and digging him up would definitely bring a curse upon those involved.

thanks for sharing your family history with us, your very fortunate to have been able to save those negatives , and still have the allotments too!
      2ET703 South Central Texas

Comment

• ApacheNDN
        ApacheNDN commented
        Editing a comment
        You're welcome. Happy to share.

Wow. Historic photo. The stories those men could tell if they were still with us.
      TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• ApacheNDN
        ApacheNDN commented
        Editing a comment
        No doubt. I grew up hearing a lot of that stuff. There were a lot of people that were still alive that were prisoners when I was a kid. I still hear things that were told to other families to this day at our dances and get togethers.

Click image for larger version  Name:	~POW-CAMP.jpg Views:	0 Size:	114.5 KB ID:	627842
      Last edited by Olden; 04-20-2022, 06:31 AM.
      If the women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Comment

• ApacheNDN
        ApacheNDN commented
        Editing a comment
        ?

Thanks for sharing this. I just started reading Geronimo. Forget the author.
      South Dakota

Comment

• ApacheNDN
        ApacheNDN commented
        Editing a comment
        There's a good read that was written with info from our perspective called about Geronimo by Angie Debo. Another good one written with same [ers[ective is "Indeh: An Apache Odyssey" by Eve Ball. And one of my favorites was basically an autobiography, " In the days of Victorio", by James Kaywaykla.
    Working...
    X