Rain Gods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rain Gods

I saw Kim mention that it hasn't rained in his town, and it's true that it's worrying, here we are in the same situation. I share this about rain gods of ancient Mexico The rain god was called Tláloc or Tlálloc among the Nahuas, among the Mayans he was known as Chaac or Chaahk, for the Zapotecs he was Cocijo or Cociyo, the Mixtecs called him Dzahui or Savui, the Totonacs Tajín or Aktsini. Of course, this list is not exhaustive since in Mesoamerica there were at least as many names of gods or rain spirits as there were languages ​​or cultures. Tlaloc, the one we know best, had at least 26 invocations, each one related to its nature or its functions. We do not know the exact names of the gods of the oldest cultures, because generic words are used to name them that refer rather to a concept or an image.
    1,2, Tlaloc, Nahua 3,4, Dzahui Mixteco
    5 Cocijo. Zapoteco
    6, 7 Chac. Maya
    8. Tajín. Totonaca

​​​​
    Last edited by Tenoch; 07-12-2022, 12:25 PM.
    In chimalli in macahuitl

Cool
    2ET703 South Central Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Tenoch View Post
      I saw Kim mention that it hasn't rained in her town, and it's true that it's worrying, here we are in the same situation. I share this about rain gods of ancient Mexico The rain god was called Tláloc or Tlálloc among the Nahuas, among the Mayans he was known as Chaac or Chaahk, for the Zapotecs he was Cocijo or Cociyo, the Mixtecs called him Dzahui or Savui, the Totonacs Tajín or Aktsini. Of course, this list is not exhaustive since in Mesoamerica there were at least as many names of gods or rain spirits as there were languages ​​or cultures. Tlaloc, the one we know best, had at least 26 invocations, each one related to its nature or its functions. We do not know the exact names of the gods of the oldest cultures, because generic words are used to name them that refer rather to a concept or an image.
      1,2, Tlaloc, Nahua 3,4, Dzahui Mixteco
      5 Cocijo. Zapoteco
      6, 7 Chac. Maya
      8. Tajín. Totonaca

​​​​
      "I saw Kim mention that it hasn't rained in her town" Him

Comment

• Tenoch
        Tenoch commented
        Editing a comment
        Rigth her is for women !! In spanish we use the same possessive for third person,man or woman thanks hillbilly!
        Last edited by Tenoch; 07-12-2022, 12:34 PM.

• Cecilia
        Cecilia commented
        Editing a comment
        Good save!

Gotta wonder. I left Tlaloc on the patio over night one night after getting a better back ground photo and it poured 2'' the next day.
      SE IA

Comment

• Josie
        Josie commented
        Editing a comment
        I might need to borrow if it doesn’t rain soon 😁

• Cecilia
        Cecilia commented
        Editing a comment
        I gotta shaman’s recipe for rain, very cool!
    Working...
    X