Dugout canoe found in Louisiana

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dugout canoe found in Louisiana

This dugout canoe was found on the banks of the Red River! It dates to the 14th Century! At 34 feet in length, it is the largest Native American canoe ever discovered in Louisiana! Larto Lake is connected to the Red River through Big Larto Bayou, which is where the dam is located. One can just imagine Native Americans paddling on Larto Lake and the surrounding streams in such a dugout canoe! These water bodies served as liquid highways! There certainly were plenty of cypress trees around to use as building material. The cypress wood was impervious to insects and rot, as evidenced by this canoe which is over 700 years old! By Trevor Fry
    Attached Files
    east Tx.

Wow! That’s wonderful
    South Dakota

Comment

Hi Hudson. Thanks for bringing this to our attention. It is, indeed, an amazing discovery.

Comment

Yes! I heard about this on the local news when it was found. Im an ArkLaTexan. Now what i didn’t understand or never have, is why this didnt end up in a local museum or university for us from the area to see? Can’t remember exactly where it went, up in Arkansas im thinking but i wished theyd keep local artifacts locally. Guessing maybe its a money or highest bidder type situation 🤷🏻‍♂️ This and the alligator killed last year with the stone NA artifacts in its stomach story, are two of my favorites. Thanks for sharing it again. Hope to see this dugout one day!

Comment

Hey Rodney, Thanks for the story. Thay Cypress canoe is in great shape.
          Michigan Yooper
          If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

big cannoe , ive seen the one they found on padre island, it's not nearly that long, Cyprus is some great wood, mom's house is made with Cyprus
            2ET703 South Central Texas

Comment

thank's for posting this. thats unreal....
              Utah

Comment

There's four or more in Tigertail bay if ya need one.

Comment

Working...
                X