King Philip's War

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• King Philip's War

It's been called by some historians "America's forgotten war" 600 English colonists killed, 3000 natives. 1675-1676 in southern New England, continuing into Maine until 1678. Many English towns burned to the ground. Tribes scattered to the wind. Philip, Metacom of the Pokanoket, killed at his birthplace on the Mt. Hope peninsula in Bristol, RI. By a native scout. The Eastern Niantics of southern RI remained neutral and absorbed some Narragansett refugees. Other Narragansett went north to Maine. Philip's head was displayed on a stake in Plymouth for several decades. His son was sold into slavery in Bermuda.. The colony of RI remained neutral, Roger Williams not quite the enemy of native rights that his countrymen were. But there are many sites associated with the war here, and I've enjoyed the opportunity afforded to visit and linger at many. Here is the best 5 minute synopsis I could find, quite good given the time constraint. There is a Part 1, but this is more relevant as a summary. I forget the name of the guy seen, but his principal affiliation is Narragansett.
    History Teachers - Buy history resources for your classes including worksheets, homeworks, tests, and presentations at:http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Sto...

The largest engagement of the war, Dec., 1675. The English won, but many wounded died on the 20 mile march back, through a blizzard, to their base in Wickford, RI.

Rhode Island

King Philip's War is one of my favorite pieces of history.  I've walked and visited many of the sites where battles took place, Bloody Brook in Deerfield, Wheeler's Surprise in New Braintree, Turner's Falls,  Philip's secret camp at Mt. Wachusetts, even the Great Swamp Massacre site down in Kingston.  The Middle Branch of the Swift River flows through my land, and upstream a 1/4 mile, there's a falls and a rocky secluded gorge and local legend has it that King Philip camped and met local indians there and tried to recruit them to his cause.  I don't know if it's true but there's a marker stating that it happened.   Like George Washington, he apparently slept everywhere!

Comment

i live not too far away  (as far as R.I. goes) from the Great Swamp and have hiked around the area on and off the trails a few times over the years. theres definitely spots out there where you get creepy feelings.its such a monumental war in our history yet is almost forgotten except here in new england. im always amazed when i come across gravestones out in the woods that date to the mid-late 1600's, i can only imagine what it must have been like living here at the time.
      call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

When standing on the sites where the battles took place or at their campsites I can't help but let my mind wander.  Especially the multi component sites, everyone who came along appreciated that place.  Some of the places have such a sense of....geez, I can't find the right words, sort of a mixture of deep time, places of power, presence of the past, I can't describe it, but they're just really special places.

Comment

Same here. "King Philip's War. The History and Legacy of America's Forgotten Conflict" by Schultz and Tougas is great for locating the sites to visit. Grew up just upstream from Jireh Bull Garrison House, which the Narragansett attacked just before the Great Swamp Massacre. In my 20's and 30's, I enjoyed just hanging out at Queen's Fort, the amazing hilltop "fortification" still preserved. Associated with Queen Sachem Quaipan and not discovered until after the war. It's a glacial boulder dump, but with man made walls and "bastions" at the NE and SW corners. Mavor and Dix found a solar alignment there, and it's special to the Narragansett. Used to find spots to just sit for hours there; place just always "felt" peaceful and calming.
          I agree, amazing when you stop and imagine the events at these places. It seems long ago, but your imagination can enliven them again.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_2015-02-18 [replaced].jpg
Views:	43
Size:	160.7 KB
ID:	207247
          Rhode Island

Comment

Working...
          X