Drilled Shell Artifacts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drilled Shell Artifacts

I traded for this group from an old collection from N. California . And was able to find a little more information . They were all found together in a manner that suggested to me that it was a Basket Hat maybe sewn on plant fiber or hide . I did a little reconstruction on what it may have looked like . I stabilized all this shell it was in poor condition .

Great stuff as always Dennis! That is a novel idea about the head gear. You may just be right on that
    Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

I'm curious if you have any sources that describe this sort of shell-adorned hat. It's an interesting idea but one I've not come across before. (Not doubting you, please don't misunderstand, just wanting to know your sources). Thanks.

Comment

kenwhite wrote:

I'm curious if you have any sources that describe this sort of shell-adorned hat. It's an interesting idea but one I've not come across before. (Not doubting you, please don't misunderstand, just wanting to know your sources). Thanks.
          Ken just google basket hat California there's a lot of examples out there with small shells and feather adornments The Hupa - Pomo - Miwok - Paiute Made Basket Hats but this is one of a kind  . My story comes from the original finder I can't give out more information than that sorry . I need to protect my sources lol .

Comment

Good for hail storms :whistle:
          So, I know it's just shell but can you imagine drilling all those holes?
          Rick, East Central Missouri

Comment

rixdafix wrote:

Good for hail storms :whistle:
            So, I know it's just shell but can you imagine drilling all those holes?
              Hey Rick, I assure you that shell is not easy to drill. A modern steel bit will dull very fast when drilling shell. I agree that drilling must have been an awesome task.
            Michigan Yooper
            If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

...sorry Southfork but that's my point exactly. If you Google California basket hat, as you suggest, you'll indeed see plenty of examples but none like what you are proposing. All are woven, the occasional example with a scattering of some shells (and/or feathers) but nothing like the sort of "shell-helmet" you are suggesting. Of course I imagine you could be correct, which is why I am asking. All the other pieces of similarly drilled shell CA pieces I've seen have been presented as bits of a necklace or adornment for clothing. I'm simply curious if you've know of literature which supports this possible use..?  Thanks.

Comment

Ken this was a single burial uncovered during construction the shell was all around the skull . Of course there was no fiber material left but how else were they attached ? I have seen other examples held by the state Of California that had numerous shell decorations . This was a person of high status for sure and no photos were taken at the time of the find to document . But I talked to the original finder and I'm convinced it was a head covering I just don't know the shell arrangement .

Comment

fascinating -- thank you for the additional info!

Comment

South those shell pieces sure do look like adornment that was layered and worn. As seen in photos of California Coastal valley Indians. They would make skirts and capes and adorn their heads as well. Very sweet to obtain them for your collection. Tribes further up into Oregon on up probably did as well.

Comment

Here's a link with few photos. I have seen a few photos of the Women adorned with the larger Abalone pendants Disc shaped and rectangular with variations. I Only have seen Native Women heavily Adorned with shell this way! Not the men. Defiantly was used in Burial ceremony's for those with wealth and status.

Comment

Originally posted by Six nations son View Post
                        Here's a link with few photos. I have seen a few photos of the Women adorned with the larger Abalone pendants Disc shaped and rectangular with variations. I Only have seen Native Women heavily Adorned with shell this way! Not the men. Defiantly was used in Burial ceremony's for those with wealth and status.
                        Thanks for the link that case is all abalone shell most of the shell artifacts don't survive the acidic soil here .

Comment

This type of artifact is rare as hens teeth but seems most of the collectors here have limited interest .

Comment

Guess maybe because it's a regional thing? Although Abalone pendant and few other shell artifacts were traded to inland tribes quite a distance. Elk Ivory , Shell and other bone artifacts and Scarce Beads just don't have as big draw! Baskets ,pottery and stone have a small following compared to Arrowheads Suprising in a way ,Especially with the Growing amount of Forged and Re-Chipped Arrowheads compared to 20 years ago. I don't know of any artifact Book that really specializes in Shell and Bone and beads! Is there one out there? I would buy it. If the Book compared to the great Arrowhead guides we all have sitting on our shelves.

Comment

Working...
                            X