Metal points

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metal points

My wife and a friend have both found metal arrowheads in colorado. I have not been able to find much  info. on these types of points,I would appreciate some feed back. Thanks

Here's some useful info...

Rhode Island

Comment

Dwain Rogers has one of the largest collections of metal points in the U.S. You could send the points to him for his lookover.

Comment

Metal points are more common out west than in the east where I am I believe. Era was roughly 300-100 BP (Before Present Time) Depending on size and condition values are $25.00 to $325.00. Hope this helps a bit.

Comment

I love talking about the trade era!  I also live in Colorado, and I have only one complete iron point.  I found it on the surface, which is very rare.  I have a friend that has hundreds of metal points.  Everything from a Calvery belt buckles that were cut up and made into points, he has bullet molds, bullets, tinklers/ cones, mirrors, gun barrel pipes, gun parts, files and a ton of trade beads.  He uses his metal detector though!  I think one reason we have so many around here is because it is relatively dry, no humidity.  Also the most occupying  tribe in the Colorado during the "historic" era were the Utes.  They were among the friendliest to the whites and traded a lot of goods.  Metal points were originally traded by the Spanish around the mid 1600's, and tribes continued to trade with trappers and settlers alike.  There are also differences in the types of metal points.  The one I found was an indian made point, that was salvaged from another piece of metal.  There were also white made trade points like the Little Big Horn form from the North West.  I will get a good pic of mine and get it posted.  I'd also like to see a photo of your metal point!  They are very valuable (more than any book will tell you) because they are rotting away as we speak! Also, not many are sold from private hands...

Comment

here's my wifes metal point and some questionable others

Comment

another

Comment

any info on this type?

Comment

Wow!  They look indian made, those are awesome!  I think all the photos you posted are all nice metal points.  A couple are pretty deteriorated but that's to be expected.  Did you find them with a detector or on the surface?

Comment

Looks indian made, and almost just like mine with a little less shoulder.  Notice how similar the oxidation patterns are on both of ours.  My friend also told me that mine was made of iron, just like this one.  They last a little longer and keep their form for longer.

Comment

Thanks, they were found on the surface.Never thought about useing a metal detector.

Comment

I lived along the spanish trail..The indians traded with those guys also..Like the famous spainard Cortez..

Comment

Colorado could possibly be close enough for that trail..Nice finds..

Comment

Working...
                          X