Salado Polychrome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Salado Polychrome

This is the last of the lot of ceramic vessels that I purchased at an antique store in London, Ontario; along with the three Chupicuaro vessels, and what I believe to be a Rio Casas Grandes vessel.

Of late, I've been on a pottery research mission. This pictured bowl has been somewhat of a challenge as far as typology goes. One of the most intriguing aspects of this bowl is its shape; having a flat bottom versus rounded one. My research leads me to think that rounded bottom vessels were more the norm. This is not to say that flat bottomed vessels were not manufactured.

I should add some further background information regarding the source of the ceramic vessels. Having lived in Mexico City and visited my fair share of museums there, and in the surrounding states, I was immediately struck by the ceramics at the store in London. I was sure that at least one of the bowls was pre-Columbian and probably of Mexican provenance. I made an effort to speak to the vendor whose ceramic vessels were on display in the cabinet at said store. She informed that they were pre-Columbian, having been gifts from a friend who had been affiliated with the Canadian embassy in Mexico City in the 1960's. She also informed that the pictured bowl was of a Southwestern U.S. origin, purchased from a museum in Arizona.

I am going to suggest that the pictured bowl is an example of Salado Polychrome (Roosevelt Red Ware); specifically a Tonto Polychrome bowl (1340 -- 1450 CE) from Arizona.

Again, any assistance from those in the know would be greatly appreciated.

The following paper is a wonderful resource for pre-Columbian Southwestern U.S. ceramics.

http://www.archaeologysouthwest.org/pdf/TR2005_001.pdf Click image for larger version

Name:	Salado 1.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	151.5 KB
ID:	214476
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Salado 2.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	214477
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Salado 3.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	214478
    Last edited by Hi-Lo; 06-23-2016, 09:59 AM.

Hey David, That is a beautiful bowl. I like the artwork. Can you give me some info on the piece?
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• Hi-Lo
      Hi-Lo commented
      Editing a comment
      Ron,

Sorry for my wonky method of posting. I find it easier to post photos first and then to go back in to edit and post text. If I do so at the same time it always splits my text.

The motifs are indeed interesting on the piece, and I am hoping to learn more about what they may represent. The dots within diamond shapes or rectangular shapes are recurring motifs.

Very nice looking.

Comment

One question that I have of those individuals who might be in the know regarding Southwestern U.S./pre-Columbian pottery is whether this bowl's interior would qualify as having been smudged. I tend to think that it does not based on my examination of examples that were smudged.

Comment

That is a nice bowl and thanks for the link.
        Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Working...
        X