X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shell Duck Effigy

Shell Duck Effigy
    Posted by [CMD]

Moderator Note: this thread was first posted in 2012 but failed to transfer across to the new forum when the software was updated, and so has been re-created manually.

These glass trade beads, shell crescent, and shell duck effigy were found at the Marsh Site, an Iroquois Seneca village in Livingston Co., NY, and dating circa 1660 AD. Of course the necklace itself was strung in modern times.

Click image for larger version

Name:	MarshSiteNYArtifacts002.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	150.5 KB
ID:	228390 Click image for larger version

Name:	MarshSiteNYArtifacts008.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	228391 Click image for larger version

Name:	MarshSiteNYArtifacts018.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	228392 Click image for larger version

Name:	MarshSiteNYArtifacts015.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	228393

As seen in this early photo of a shell duck necklace from the Power House Site in NY.,another Seneca Iroquois village, and dating 1640-1660, most shell ducks had punctate eyes as part of the decoration, but some, like my own example, are without eyes.

Name:	neckla1.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	228394

Posted by [rokhedred]
    Ooohh...that's really nice.

Posted by [Paleolution]
    Wow, that is a beautiful piece! I love those trade beads, but that duck pendant is out of this world! Do you know what animal bone it's made from?

Posted by [painshill]
    Beautiful, Charlie. You know how I love duck effigies! (let's not go there again :dry: )
    I especially like items which demonstrate an artistic interpretation of the subject rather than being a true representation.

Posted by [CMD ]
    Thanks, friends! Tyson, it's made of shell, not bone. Doesn't show, but it's got some polish to it as well.
    You can see some polish on the examples in the black and white photo. I especially like artifacts that date to the time of colonization.

Posted by [Marrattukka]
    I am jealouse that is awesome. If I were back home and could hunt up there I would and I would also donate all my finds to the museum.I have to go up once a year now so I may just start doing that.Pain do some research on "mississippian culture" and my point will be proved.I am not doing work for you,Lmao(Artistic representation)!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Posted by [painshill]
    Marrattukka wrote:
    I am jealouse that is awesome. If I were back home and could hunt up there I would and I would also donate all my finds to the museum.I have to go up once a year now so I may just start doing that.Pain do some research on "mississippian culture" and my point will be proved.I am not doing work for you,Lmao(Artistic representation)!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

????? I have no idea what you are talking about. Thankfully.

Name:	OhioArchaeologyblog.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	228395
    [Image form Ohio Archaeology blog]

Posted by [CMD ]
    painshill wrote:
    Beautiful, Charlie. You know how I love duck effigies! (let's not go there again :dry: )
    I especially like items which demonstrate an artistic interpretation of the subject rather than being a true representation.

I agree, Roger. I like the somewhat abstract interpretation over purely representational as well.

Posted by [Hoss ]
    That is a fine artifact Charlie. I have very little bone and shell in my collection. Nothing like that at all.

Posted by [gregszybala]
    That is cool! Love seeing the artistry that went into pieces like that. Thanks!

Posted by [Paleolution]
    CMD, derf, I am not all here today I guess, the material's in the title! :whistle:

Posted by [CMD ]
    Paleolution wrote:
    CMD, derf, I am not all here today I guess, the material's in the title! :whistle:

Wait till ya get to my age, Tyson. It'll happen daily and you get to call them senior moments :silly:

Posted by [CMD ]
    Marrattukka, Roger's initial comments in this thread represent a complement to the artistic abilities of members of your ancestral nation!!

Posted by [Marrattukka]
    Sorry.I was thrown because of the "lets not go there" and the "?????? Idont know what your talking about"Exspecially since I had posted a duck formation that meets the"dated" criteria.I truly dont want to argue with any one and the more we can learn from each other the better the threads can be used as a tool for the seriouse collectors and historians that are members.I really apreciate all of you even the people who dont understand but want to learn.Thanks guy's and gal's and sorry for the confusion ance again. :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush:

Posted by [roustabout149]
    So awesome, Charlie. So...so...awesome!

Posted by [twoshovel]
    Beautiful,,ts

Posted by [Butch Wilson]
    True art is based on stylized interpretation, anything else is a counterfeit copy of the original. B)

Posted by [rmartin]
    Charlie, that is an incredible artifact, one I would really like to hold. Ray

Posted by [CMD ]
    Marrattukka wrote:
    Sorry.I was thrown because of the "lets not go there" and the "?????? Idont know what your talking about"Exspecially since I had posted a duck formation that meets the"dated" criteria.I truly dont want to argue with any one and the more we can learn from each other the better the threads can be used as a tool for the seriouse collectors and historians that are members.I really apreciate all of you even the people who dont understand but want to learn.Thanks guy's and gal's and sorry for the confusion ance again. :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush:

Glad to hear that, Todd. The comments that confused you were actually at the level of an inside joke alluding to the history of discussions regarding effigies in general on this forum. You would need to have been here awhile to get it. Those comments were not directed at you. "The more we can learn from each other the better...." is an approach that serves all of us well and helps make this a great forum!

CMD wrote:
    Marrattukka wrote:

Glad to hear that, Todd. The comments that confused you were actually at the level of an inside joke alluding to the history of discussions regarding effigies in general on this forum. You would need to have been here awhile to get it. Those comments were not directed at you. "The more we can learn from each other the better...." is an approach that serves all of us well and helps make this a great forum!

Hey, Charlie! I participated in that discussion and never really did understand it! Maybe you can explain it to me. Went right over my pea brain! :S

Posted by [CMD ]
    Hmmm. Maybe I'm confused now Pam. I was just referring to the sometimes "rock em sock em" tone of effigy discussions on the forum in general and not one thread in particular. I may have missed Todd's "duck formation" thread if that's what you are referring to :unsure:

CMD wrote:
    Hmmm. Maybe I'm confused now Pam. I was just referring to the sometimes "rock em sock em" tone of effigy discussions on the forum in general and not one thread in particular. I may have missed Todd's "duck formation" thread if that's what you are referring to :unsure:

No, I don't know bout the duck formation thread. I thot Painshill was referring to his rules of effigies. You mentioned an inside joke...guess I'm not quite sure what the joke is. Hmmmm...much ado bout nothin! Livin and learnin.

Posted by [painshill]
    roustabout149 wrote:
    CMD wrote:

No, I don't know bout the duck formation thread. I thot Painshill was referring to his rules of effigies. You mentioned an inside joke...guess I'm not quite sure what the joke is. Hmmmm...much ado bout nothin! Livin and learnin.

It was just me pokin' fun at myself about the hard time y'all gave me on the multi-tool shaped like a duck I posted a while ago. Apologies to those who weren't around at the time. Commiserations to those who were! :laugh:

Posted by [greywolf22]
    Very nice. This is the first one I have seen like this.
    Jack

I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.
Working...
X