Pipe pieces

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pipe pieces

These pieces were in that gun auction collection from along the grand river in Ontario. Was wondering if anyone could help with approx age and culture or any other info.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	P2111627.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	241384Click image for larger version

Name:	P2111628.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	241385
    ​​​​​​​

Those are early style pipes, Pre-Iroquoian. These are Owasco Culture, and would date from 500 A.D. - 1200 A.D. The Owasco over lapped with the Iroquois Culture by a couple hundred years, and were the predominant culture in Ontario as well as much of N.Y. The Owasco were preceded by the Point Peninsula culture. The geometric design is characteristic of Owasco, but was also seen in the first true Iroquois designs. The bowl on the right looks like it didn't have a stem. I can't tell from the photo, but many of the Owasco pipes were just bowls, and smoked using a hollow reed stem. The one on the left, except for the stem, may be missing just some of the rim. Many of these pipes were not decorated, and had short stems, and plain bowls. Also, site specific information would be good, and knowing what else was found on the site, would help in determining the age of these. The Point Peninsula, Owasco, Clemson Island, and Iroquois cultures all over lapped to some degree.
    Last edited by pkfrey; 02-17-2017, 05:05 PM.
    http://www.ravensrelics.com/

Comment

• rock ON.
      rock ON. commented
      Editing a comment
      The bannerstones, gouge and adze and most of the points I have previously posted have come from the 2 sites these came from. I also have some pottery shards from these sites I will post in the near future.

Something else that may be of interest to you. Pipes were extremely important to the Natives. They served the purpose of every day smoking, but also were used in almost all of their ceremonies. Everything was blessed with smoke. The way they made these is, they would take clumps of some type of grass, and make a conical shaped clump. Then they would take the moist pottery and mold it around the clump of grass. Then the pipe with the grass inside would be laid on a layer of hot ashes. This hardened the pottery, and dried the grass, and then the grass was removed, leaving behind those swirling marks you see in the pipe on the left. They also made the stem in this manner. Because another layer of clay, called " slip ", wasn't added, and the interior of the bowl wasn't smoothed like the other one, is an indication it's a much earlier pipe. Possibly Point Peninsula, not Owasco. As time went by, and the Iroquois were the predominate culture, pipes were more carefully made, and they were smoothed both inside and out. And this was about the time that effigy pipes started to appear.
    Last edited by pkfrey; 02-18-2017, 04:00 PM.
    http://www.ravensrelics.com/

Comment

Cool pieces! Thanks for showing em'!
      Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Working...
      X