Now Don't Ya'll Laugh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now Don't Ya'll Laugh

My Daughter and I took about a 2 hour walkabout, off the beaten track of the logging roads and followed a creek bed that feeds into Wolf River below my house. I'll post some pics of our walk in another post. Anyway we found a couple of things that I wanted to show and get an opinion about
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Pottery9.jpg Views:	1 Size:	177.1 KB ID:	241884Click image for larger version  Name:	Pottery8.jpg Views:	1 Size:	171.4 KB ID:	241883Click image for larger version  Name:	Pottery7.jpg Views:	1 Size:	58.8 KB ID:	241882

Click image for larger version  Name:	Pottery6.jpg Views:	1 Size:	168.2 KB ID:	241881

Found this one first. The light blue color really stood out. I know this is not prehistoric type pottery but it's like nothing I've ever seen. The exterior paint is very thin and the texture appears to be granular like sand. It's really thin as well. It was real easy to break in half.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Pottery4.jpg Views:	1 Size:	68.2 KB ID:	241885Click image for larger version  Name:	Pottery1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	48.8 KB ID:	241886Click image for larger version  Name:	Pottery3.jpg Views:	1 Size:	115.4 KB ID:	241888Click image for larger version  Name:	Pottery2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	48.7 KB ID:	241887

This was found down stream a bit further. It was the pattern that caught my eye. Again it appears to be very grainy in texture like sand. Both pieces are probably more modern than I'd hoped but wanted to post them and see what ya'll thought.
    Last edited by Scorpion68; 02-23-2017, 07:12 PM.
    Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Hahaha! Sorry. Hahahahahaha, oops, sorry again.

Just messing with you Chuck, you did kind of ask for it.
    The second piece could be native, A bit thick but possible. Can you tell what the grit is? Cool if it is, I think I have found 6-8 pieces in all my years so far and nothing bigger than a half dollar.
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

• Scorpion68
      Scorpion68 commented
      Editing a comment
      The grit in that 2nd piece seems to be kinda like the sand they use in the minute/hour glasses, really fine. It looks like it has an alternating pattern of some sort.

Hi Chuck. First off, I am the first to say that pottery is something I have next to nothing knowledge about. And anything I say needs to be considered with that fact in mind but: Well sir, I would have picked them up also. I've picked up untold pounds of old NA potsherds and never found one that had a painted surface. Therefore, I believe the painted piece may be a broken piece from white folks that pioneered into that valley and made somewhere back East, like Virginia for example. The other artifact may hold promise as being Native American or may not be. The temper of the pottery, if indeed this is pottery should be examined very closely. The temper used to ID is often one of the characters that are used in dating old potsherds from different time periods in different areas of our country. Also, the source of the clay available may be a consideration. Very curious indeed, I will be following your thread closely to see what else develops. I am assuming that there is nothing here to make you think that any are "stone pot" sherds. I didn't see anything to make me think that they are but, alas, I don't have them in hand. Lots of luck in your quest.

Comment

Chuck, The first two are no doubt early pieces of broken crocks. Maybe 1800s, or ealy 1900s. The second piece is sandstone, and it looks like it has a lot of mica flakes in it. Or maybe those little white dots are small quartz pieces. I think they could be either natural, or possibly, fossil ripple marks from an ancient shore line. I'mnot familiar with your area, or what fossils are found there, if any. It doesn't look like N.A. pottery shards. It's to irregular in thickness to be a body or rim shard. The one side has positive impressions, ( the raised part ), and the other has the indented negative impressions.
      http://www.ravensrelics.com/

Comment

I attempted a couple of close-up pics of the edges of this pottery using a 10x macro lens however, the focal point is very narrow. I was hoping the close-ups might help with determining the composition of the pottery.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pottery 6.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	242012

This is the more modern blue painted piece. Painted side is to the left. You can from this pic that the interior has a much lighter grainy texture to it. Interesting.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pottery 1.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	242013

This is the edge close-up of the thicker piece which is quite grainy as well. Hum. I'm gonna have to do some research on early pottery and see what I can find.
        Attached Files
        Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

The blue glaze is interesting in that most 18th 19thc blue glazes were cobalt, which is a deep rich blue. To get that shade of pale blue or ultramarine, one would have mixed in green & white pigments. Glazers were always trying to emulate the sky but this pastel shade is unique.
          Child of the tides

Comment

• Scorpion68
            Scorpion68 commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm thinking late 19th century on the pastel. It has a very grainy sandy interior and the side opposite the paint has an almost white sand texture but the interior is tan. I'm trying to find it on the internet but it's gonna take a lot of looking. Thanks for commenting Deb. Always appreciate other opinions and recommendations.
        Working...
        X