Native American war whistles...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Native American war whistles...

A book that I am reading mentions the use of eagle bone war whistles. I have heard of their use before and was wanting to see if anyone happened to have one or has seen one somewhere. They are probably a rare artifact but I have seen some really cool presumably rare items here before. I understand that the possession of an eagle part is probably illegal as even possessing a feather is illegal in Illinois from what I understand but I thought someone here might have some info on it.
    Last edited by BabaORiley; 03-08-2017, 07:13 PM.
    The chase is better than the catch...
    I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Good post. I believe every state it's illegal to have any bird of prey part (aside from Native American's probably) but I have heard that our/local world bird sanctuary sends the feathers to native american reservations. Most People don't understand why The Laws though even when told why. Sure having a feather doesn't prove that a bird was killed but if the feathers were legal to have that might create a market for them,,,,,, then that's reason to get feathers. Vultures,Falcons,owls,hawks ETC. I found a redtail hawk tail feather out in the wood's but left it.

But about the war whistle, i just don't know.
    http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

• Havenhunter
      Havenhunter commented
      Editing a comment
      Sadly Congress wants to take some of the raptors off the endangered list, which will just open them up to being predates again for feathers & talons.

• rock ON.
      rock ON. commented
      Editing a comment
      Actually here in Canada it's a success story when a raptor or any other creature is taken off the endangered list as it means their population numbers have increased to the point that they are no longer in danger but it still does not make it legal to hunt or kill that species as it may still be protected. The reason for raptors becoming endangered in the first place was mainly due to the use of DDT as an agricultural pesticide.

check out the book Native American Weapons by Colin F. Taylor, theres a section in there on them and an example
    call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

I have never seen an Eagle whistle but here is some info on Eagles and Non Eagles feathers and parts. The Government runs a repository https://www.fws.gov/eaglerepository/ and also a Non Eagle Repository for carcasses and feathers https://www.fws.gov/southwest/NAL/feathers.html

It is illegal to own parts of many birds unless you are Native American. Owls, Hawks, Eagles yeah even finding a dead one and taking feathers can get you in trouble. Eagle feathers can be owned by Native Americans and also veterans of the US Army 101st Air Born Division.
      Last edited by Hoss; 03-09-2017, 01:06 PM.
      TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Whistles from bird bones were probably quite common as they are very simple to make. I have some around here from North Dakota, I'll dig them up at take some pictures. (Not eagle/raptor bones, the auction house had a Fish & Wildlife officer look at the items before the auction and they pulled out a bunch of items.)

Here's a scan of an old 35mm picture I have on my photobucket album.

Pile of bones, teeth, tools from a shell midden in the Caribbean from a professional dig I helped out on one summer back in the late 1980's. There is a big whistle that was probably from a long legged wading bird (it was probably 16" inches long or so.)

Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

I picked up a dead hawk on the side of the road once to give to one of these places that I heard about that then donates them to a reservation. I called the game warden and told him to come and get it. He didn't know anything about it, but scolded me for picking it up. So I scolded him back for being obtuse, and besides, I take care of his dogs. Anyway, the point of this story, is don't try and do the right thing. Leave it lay and rot.
          South Dakota

Comment

Working...
          X