Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pottery Figure, Sky Watcher! Possibly Stone Piece?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pottery Figure, Sky Watcher! Possibly Stone Piece?

I have seen pieces like this in a few different books now. This one I thought was pottery but close inspection doesn't appear that eyes, nose, mouth etc. were applied so I wonder if it wasn't a stone carving. It is heavier than what I would expect for pottery also but just not sure. As to origin I am uncertain. The long narrow nose doesn't seem to fit most mexican south american pieces I have or have seen although as Cliff has pointed out the eyes do. Appears to be gazing at the sky. It has some obvious damage and a old repair to one of the feet but a unique piece. I have seen some Native American pieces pretty much in this exact shape as far as being a heavy set figure with arms wrapped around in the same manner, also some Alaskin pieces same way. I would appreciate any input! Seems obvious from the shape that there had to be early travel from south to north etc. as pieces in Mississippi County, Ark. display the same shape also although facial features vary. This piece is approx. 2 1/2" tall.

I believe the lip/mouth area had red paint at one time as I see the traces in a few spots.

I see from the extra pictures that it is not a vessel, but is some kind of statue. Those pictures you've seen of similar design are all effigy vessels, I believe, with a hole behind the head. This one looks even more like something from south of the US border but it may be difficult to figure out from where.

Comment

Working...
    X