Pottery everywhere

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pottery everywhere

This is from a S Georgia site . People say that the creek Indians were there . It's like sea shells on a beach . Gets to a point the trucks run over them and people throw them back . Any of you Mentors up for helping me learn more .

Thank you Greg , those were some nice sites.
    I said the same thing you did , but it was all over .
    I watched a utube and in Georgia it seems to be every where . Everyone says and gets is the pottery .

Comment

Hi Tam those are some great looking pottery shards. I don't know for sure on type but I have been reading a lot about my local pottery types. I'm on the NC/SC border and our later types are thought to be influenced by the Lamar culture which is centered in GA. This is just a thought I would reasearch Lamar curvilinear complicated stamped pottery. Good luck it can be very confusing figuring type. A known attribute for Lamar pottery is having a folded rim.
      N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

A display of NA pottery at Jamestown shows pottery made in a variety of styles & designs that indicates pottery wasn't just made & used locally, but also traded up & down the coast.
        Child of the tides

Comment

Sugarre, very valuable information about the rim , wow thanks !!!
          T

Comment

Tam in my opinion the Peach State Archaeological Society has one of the best websites for Pottery Identification in that area. http://www.peachstatearchaeologicals...-pottery-types
            TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

That is amazing how much pottery you are seeing. I was in Israel a couple years ago, and there were a couple sites with pottery everywhere. I could have filled five gallon pails all day long. Tourists were walking on it. I like the designs they put on your pottery
              South Dakota

Comment

I've been on a couple of long occupied sites that range from Woodland to Mississippian to Quapaw, and if the sites are plowed, shards will be everywhere.
                Once you learn more about different types, you might start looking for odd stuff that doesn't belong. Here where I do most of my searching is in the heart of Quapaw territory, but from time to time I'll find some Caddo shards and I get all excited.

that curvilinear incised stuff is beautiful, and reminds me of Caddo design which is on black/very dark pottery, but that buff colored pottery is absolutely beautiful.πŸ‘
                Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

Thank you Hoss I needdd that site GREAT .

Comment

Jethto, good information . You imspired me to look more into style and the territory .

Comment

Hoss, I went to that Peachtree site and my husband who is the pottery guy went nuts . We both enjoyed the site over coffee and will for the rest of our
                      finds . I want to apologize for my grammar . I do wear reading glasses . Went over some of
                      my post and was really sorry for those spelling errors . Just got back form looking at property with many ATV ...
                      adventures and to say the least everything is chipped ha ha even my sunglasses . Can't read my
                      screen but excited to be in this forum .
                      Tam

Comment

• Hoss
                        Hoss commented
                        Editing a comment
                        We are happy to have you here. Good luck in the hunt.

If you and your Husband are in Georgia in early June there are two shows coming up one on the third in Athens GA. I do not plan to be at the Athens show. I plan on being at the show in Cartersville on the 10th of June. Besides the show, a great nearby place to visit when in Cartersville is the Etowah Mound state park. http://www.arrowheads.com/index.php/...ar.listevents/

A lot of us make spelling and grammar errors. Kno kneade two applogize!
                      Last edited by Hoss; 05-25-2017, 09:13 PM.
                      TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Thank you Hoss , well we just wired the money
                        today for 38 acres in that S Georgia area he hunts in.Put a little cabin on it . Lots of streams and springs πŸ™πŸ˜„and I just bought my first snake boots for safety hunting those points . We both can't wait to go to these shows . He hunts deer
                        but his best friend and my old friend love the points . I'll look for the shows and really appreciate
                        all your help in my new passion . Buying books
                        looking at these sites , it's so great . I just retired he
                        has 4 more years . it will be great to meet everyone
                        Tam

Comment

Working...
                        X