No announcement yet.

Pottery Vessel, Oil Lamp? Bird Effigy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pottery Vessel, Oil Lamp? Bird Effigy?

This piece is like the last pottery vessel I posted as it cannot stand on its own, it has to be hung or carried due to its rounded base. A completely different clay than the last piece. Note the strange triangle mark on the base in the last photo. It appears to be a makers mark but I am not sure. I showed this to a friend who is somewhat familiar with ancient artifacts and he thought possibly and Oil Lamp. I don't see any burn areas that I would have expected if a wick was inserted though so I am puzzled about that although I would also lean to oil lamp. Has a Bird effigy style to me, but could be my imagination! Again, I would appreciate any and all feedback on origin thoughts, intended use, etc. Thanks!

I think that water jug is a lot more likely than oil lamp. I don't believe that natives used oil except whale oil and that only where they had whales and could catch them. That pot looks MesoAmerican in style but from where I cannot guess. The bird theme is pretty universal, but the big handle is more Meso.

Comment

Working...
    X