Indian Pipe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indian Pipe?

I picked this pipe up junking with my wife today. I'm sure it's old but I'm not sure it's a Indian artifact?

Von

Not sure Von how big is it and is there a side hole?
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Here's another picture of it setting on a 5" deck rail. There's only the hole for the stem.

Von

Comment

Here's a few more.

Comment

Very unusually Von thnks for the extra pictures. It does not look like any Native American pipe I have ever seen?
          TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

I have been looking for a similar pipe without any luck. I'm sure the bottle isn't Native American but who knows about the pipe? I have no provinence with either but for $7 it was hard to turn down.

Von
            Last edited by Von; 06-12-2017, 12:03 PM.

Comment

I don't think it is a NA pipe either. Not even sure it is a pipe for smoking tobacco. Does it looked burnt inside or any kind of residue? Any kind of stone or clay NA pipe normally has a stem holder protruding from the base that was at least half as long as the bowl. Perhaps that was broken off????

Comment

• Von
                Von commented
                Editing a comment
                Hi,

It does look to be black inside. You can see it a little in one of the photo's. It doesn't appear to be broken but I guess it could have been? Thank you for the information.

Von

You know, seeing it sitting next to that other vessel, it reminds me a little of a Near Eastern oil lamp. I believe Ron collects such things, although my memory might not be serving me well there. The oil lamps will usually have handles, but still, I wonder. Here are listings I saved from "Christian oil lamps", just because I've always wanted to own an example from the early Roman Christian/Byzantine Empire era. So I check the eBay listings now and then. Again, seeing it sitting next to what looks like an early Mediterranean area vessel, I wonder if it might not be a kind of crude oil lamp?

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...7903&_from=R40

By gum, looking at your second set of photos, I think that may very well be what it is. PM Ron and ask him to look....
              Rhode Island

Comment

• Von
                Von commented
                Editing a comment
                Ron Kelly?

Here is a Roman Era oil lamp without a handle:

Rhode Island

Comment

Wow!

It it does look like one of those oil lamps. I would have never thought about that but that makes it even better. I figured out the bottle was likely Greek or Roman. Someone did a little restoration work on the handle of the vessel or bottle but it's still cool. I'm not sure who Ron is?

Von

Comment

• CMD
                  CMD commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Ron Kelly. I can't PM him, but might have gotten through a different way. But, it's Ron Kelly I believe collects ancient oil lamps.....

I believe Charlie is right
                South Dakota

Comment

Hey Bryan, It doesn't look like the design of any oil lamp I am familiar with. It looks like the top of the vessel is far above the opening and that would be unusual for an oil lamp.
                  Here is a stone oil lamp from Kodiak Island Alaska:
                  https://forums.arrowheads.com/forum/...stone-oil-lamp
                  Here is a link to the Holy Land oil lamps: https://forums.arrowheads.com/forum/...-ancient-world
                  Michigan Yooper
                  If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• Von
                    Von commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Well?

The top is about 7/8" above the hole. The bottom is about 5/8" below it.

So the mystery continues. In your opinion what do you think it is?

Von
                    Last edited by Von; 06-12-2017, 09:32 PM.

• CMD
                    CMD commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I also felt it was tall for an oil lamp, but, to my eyes at least, it's difficult to see it as anything else.

I just looked at the lamp Charlie gave a link to and that does look like a match to yours.
                  Michigan Yooper
                  If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Okay so it may be a lamp? I assume it could hurt the value to put oil it and try it out?

Von

Comment

• CMD
                      CMD commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I don't believe it has great value, although I have no real experience appraising such things. Since it belongs to you, you are free to do with it as you please.
                  Working...
                  X