Pottery color

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pottery color

I'm from Northeast Arkansas. I don't know the timeline of native Americans in this area but the coloring on some shards I found is still pretty vivid. Is it 18th, 19th century or earlier?
    پححعظ شاهبيل

This may or may not help you with a time line. http://www.historystateparks.com/archeology/
    In my limited experience, the dryer the climate the longer the colours will last.
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

• justinberry
      justinberry commented
      Editing a comment
      lol. I live in Humidville South, where there's​ no shortage of moisture in the air. They do a lot of landleveling the fields here, maybe that's it.

That was a good read. Almost all those sites are really close to where I am, I've even driven by a couple. Thanks
      Last edited by justinberry; 06-16-2017, 01:24 AM.

It looks grit tempered rather than shell tempered. It can be much older than 18th 19th century.
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• justinberry
      justinberry commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes sir. It's not shell unless they grinded it up very fine.

Sometimes the shell in that Quapaw (I use Quapaw because it's the dominant culture in that area)pottery is so fine you can't really see it without magnification, but it's usually in the much later, extremely well made samples. If it is "grit" or "sand" tempered, it could be some of the very earliest painted pottery. According to my sources, they suspect some groups discovered shell tempering around the same time they started painting ceramics. I've seen a couple pieces of Nodena red&awhite that were grit tempered, but they were very thick and heavy.
    I'm not trying to horn in on your honey hole, but would you give me a small town within 30 miles or so of where you found it? North east Arkansas is a big area, and the sites there vary widely in cultures and time spans.
    Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

• justinberry
      justinberry commented
      Editing a comment
      I find all my artifacts around (or within thirty miles of) Rector. I got four spots within walking distance in the fields in front of my house, there's a burial site there to but I don't even set foot in that field.

Do you see any signs that they have been decorated?
    Child of the tides

Comment

• justinberry
      justinberry commented
      Editing a comment
      Some have real fine lines that surrounded them

• justinberry
      justinberry commented
      Editing a comment
      Other than the vibrant red some have real fine pinstripe lines/grooves.

I am sure you know this, but every piece of ground within fifty miles of Rector(ESPECIALLY to the east ) that is even slightly elevated and/or near water was likely occupied, and most of it until very recently.
    The Sloan site in Greene county is the oldest documented cemetery in the Western Hemisphere. It's a Dalton era site. Beautiful things were discovered there....

Comment

• justinberry
      justinberry commented
      Editing a comment
      I've been studying up on the crude tools that were with the pottery and from what I've learned they are pretty early. Here's some pics of the tools. Oh, they didn't name the south bound highway out of Rector toward Leonard "Mounds Highway" for nothing lol

Here's two different pics, you can see some better than the others
    پححعظ شاهبيل

Comment

Sounds like you have a good spot to hunt.
      South Dakota

Comment

He has a good area to hunt. You literally can't throw a cat without hitting a site of some sort up there. Permission to walk fields isn't as easy as it used to be to acquire, but it's still not difficult.

Comment

These were found at the Sloan site.

Comment

Working...
          X