Bill Arnold Castroville Tool Maker Kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bill Arnold Castroville Tool Maker Kit

This is a picture of the Castroville Tool Maker Kit that Bill Arnold dug up. I asked him how much he wanted for it and he said a new backhow would work. LOL.

I am dying to dig, wanted to do it this fall, now there is 4 inches of snow on the ground!!! Bummer, that is an awesome assortment! Thanks Bill

Comment

Jack,
      That is undoubtedly one of the best pics I've ever seen on the boards. I'm sure Bill took some insitu pics of that??
      The big boppers first got my attention. Could you tell if the butt (head) end was the handle, or was the bopper-use wear on both ends?
      The pressure flakers are interesting as well. They appear to be ground down on the sides to make a narrower tool?? And is that an abo can opener there? It looks like it could apply some leverage to flaking??
      The awl-like pieces look too delicate for flaking but I suppose could be some sort of indirect percussion tools, perhaps?
      Thanks for posting those.
      Cliff

Comment

Hope you get to soon. We are in our best digging weather down here. The heat of the summ er is off. I was digging in a Montell camp this weekend. We found a lot of worked rock and a few good points. All the rock we found was heat treated.

Comment

The antler nub end were used to strike the rock. I like that can opener it was way before twist off  tops. LOL.

Comment

Right at the moment we are working on 6 inches of snow and frozen tundra. You're gonna have to keep the pics coming to lower my addiction level, or maybe it could have reverse toll if you keep sending this great stuff, my wife might find me dead next to Beech Creek froze to death!!! LOL

Comment

Get a jackhammer and a case of warm bear, you will be OK.

Comment

I've found several small discoidal/pebble tools dug on Archaic chipping sites in FL.  Especially from Gainesville northward.  Knappers have told me that they are not chippers....so I guess they may be grinders for platforms...
                I don't see much bashing/wear on those antlers.  Tools of course, but I can't see them being used like a hammerstone.   I can't visualize any way those thin bone tools could be worked on stone.... I don't know, I wasn't there.
                That's an incredible find.  I love seeing assemblages.

Professor Shellman
                Tampa Bay

Comment

Working...
                X