Two Pottery Beads - PinCo., FL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two Pottery Beads - PinCo., FL

Two pottery beads in this case of beads all from Pinellas Co, FL All surface finds. Pottery beads are middle right and bottom right. Bad older pic boom.
    Professor Shellman
    Tampa Bay

Tom - what is the approx size of the larger beads. I can't imagine finding something that small on the ground, especially with my older eyes. Nice collection.
    Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Nice frame Tom I wish it was better focused.
      TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

The bigger pottery bead is about one inch and the other is about 3/4 inch.
        Professor Shellman
        Tampa Bay

Comment

Hi Tom. Nice display of beads for sure. The sites I used to hunt never seemed to produce any beads or at least anything I could recognize as such. The Tenn. River in north AL (my old hunting grounds) are rich in shell middens. The species the people ate were mostly a few different species of mussels that have a rich "mother of pearl" in the inside surface of the shell. I have seen pendants and other things made from them but never found any beads.Most of these shell middens apparently began during the Mid Archaic when continental weather dried significantly and the rivers ran lower making the shellfish easier to gather. But down on the coastal areas where you are doing your hunting I guess is a whole different thing. Just some random thoughts. I don't mean to monopolize your thread.

Comment

I wish beads were more plentiful ..... thanks for showing those !!!
            As for me and my house , we will serve the lord

Everett Williams ,
            NW Arkansas

Comment

I think beads are plentiful at habitation sites and less at hunting camps and chippin stations. Most of them I've found were on top of middens or village sites. Makes sense, can't help but lose jewelry once in a while, especially if a strand of small beads breaks off your neck and you just pick up most of them...

photo of shell bead necklace, PinCo,. FL were in a wall of midden like Pez candies. May have missed just a few. Large burnt shell plummet very near. An ex-friend borrowed my big case with all of them @284 beads individually laid out. When I got it back they had been strung with fake gut and there were @ 20 of them missing.
              Cookie Jar Syndrome. Instead of a totally good feeling about this find I have a sick feeling. (He didn't take the worst...)
              Professor Shellman
              Tampa Bay

Comment

Few and far between in NWArkansas ....
                sorry to hear about your frame ... I have an entire collection stolen ... I have excepted that now and moved on ... sorry to hear about your beads being stolen
                As for me and my house , we will serve the lord

Everett Williams ,
                NW Arkansas

Comment

Oh Maeon!.... Bet a lot of us have stories.... Dayum shame.
                  Professor Shellman
                  Tampa Bay

Comment

I wish I could find one! I can't imagine I haven't, but oh well. You have a nice frame of them
                    South Dakota

Comment

Working...
                    X