Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Because I love pottery like a fat kid loves cupcakes..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Because I love pottery like a fat kid loves cupcakes..

I find this stuff by the bucketsfull. I've gotten to where I only pick it up if it's exceptional, like a nice edge piece, with really good color, or a cool design incised or etched or stamped.

Several that i photo'd and thought I would share...you know, slow season and all.

Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

The last one is a mystery when viewed from that angle.

illnpost a couple more pics and explain in a moment../

Comment

This might help...it's an effigy seed jar. It's a breast effigy, apparently supposed to keep the good fertility mojo in the seeds stored in this. You can see the nipplenon the end.

i found this in a wash one year after the river had come up and done it's damage, leaving this laying there like a present for me.
      a friend with me found a bullfrog effigy bowl the same day.
      he wouldn't trade with me.

Comment

That "effigy seed jar" is cool even if it does not look like it is ready to be used as an implant.
        Bruce
        In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

• Jethro355
          Jethro355 commented
          Editing a comment
          Somebody would probably ask for their money back if they got that for an implant...😲

Dang, I wish!! Nice
        Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Great finds Jethro that jar is awesome! I love veggie gardening and I probably couldn't help but put a few seeds in it.
          N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

This one was found the same way. All the pieces are there, but I am taking my time putting it back together...
            the inside of this one was painted red. I believe it was meant to be hung by cordage from the two ears and on the opposite sides there are two (don't know the right word, maybe "nodes)other ears. They (the ears)were made as part of an "appliqué" process, which means they built the bowl first, and added the ears after, but before it was fired.

Comment

You do indeed find the most amazing pieces of pottery, although as your title suggests, I would have a tough choice if offered a shard or a cupcake!
              Child of the tides

Comment

• Jethro355
                Jethro355 commented
                Editing a comment
                I do also bake a mean cupcake.

*also, I eat a lot.

I've found over the years that the vessels that are more globular in design survive better, as one would expect. Open, wide bowls have usually been crushed by settleing earth. Long narrow neck water bottles, tea pot effigies, seed jars, things like that are usually less damaged. My uncle has several, maybe 20 or so, (several are polychrome)from when we first bought the place and cleared the timber back in the early 70's..and the river did its river thing...came up and promptly removed lots of soil on that end of the ridge...and he just walked around, picking them up like picking up apples under a tree.

Comment

Boy you are on a camp . I know I find so much I only keep
                the cool stuff but have never found a pot like that . I love the edge work on the first pic very nice .
                We are going to do a dig on our property in this one area
                the pottery keeps coming down after a rain . High ground up there from the stream has to be a camp area . Those swiftcreek Indians were all over .
                But we find old early archaic and some paleo .
                Paloe my friends . That nice palmer to .
                so the old stuff is out there we just need to do a dig .
                I almost hope I find a pot in your honor .

Comment

Nice looking finds Jethro thanks for sharing the finds and your uncles story.
                  TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Hi Jethro. Thanks for showing some of your finds and the stories of finding them.And congratulations for finding that unique little pot.

Comment

Working...
                    X