Massachusetts N/A dugout canoe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Massachusetts N/A dugout canoe

Just down the street from me is a little local historical society building. I hadn't been in it in about 20 years, as nothing new ever seemed to be added to it and I had seen it all. Imagine my surprise when I went the other day and found that a N/A dugout canoe had been added to the collection. I almost fell over!

The members of the historical society did not know much about it other than it had been discovered sunken in a local pond when the construction of a dam was underway in the 1930's. It was kept by the state MDC agency for some time, then gived to the historical society and was stored away in the rafters of their barn, unseen by anyone for about 50 years. When the barn was recently renovated, they put it on display.

I'm trying to track down information about it which is proving to be a slow, difficult process. I have no idea if it has ever been recorded in any Archaeological publications, if it is actually N/A, if it has been Carbon Dated, or in fact treated with any preservatives. It is about 20 feet long, is made from a single chestnut tree log, does have one nice side wall, one side has damage. This should prove interesting. More to follow.

Click image for larger version  Name:	canoe a.jpg - 1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	47.0 KB ID:	264139Click image for larger version  Name:	canoe b.jpg - 1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	48.4 KB ID:	264140
    Last edited by clambellies; 09-07-2017, 10:50 AM.

That is an amazing artifact to say the least. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Hey Alan, That is a great discovery. Great that it did not rot away. If you learn any more please let us know.
      Michigan Yooper
      If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Very interesting. Hopefully we can learn more about it.
        South Dakota

Comment

Good surprise hope you find out more about it. Thanks for showing I had the same thing happen to me a few weeks ago. I walked into our state arboretum and they had a huge dugout canoe display what a great surprise.
          N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

Where I am from in south Florida they have one on display as well .... the front isn't squired off like that one it more rounded ... awesome to see an other on display thanks for sharing
            As for me and my house , we will serve the lord

Everett Williams ,
            NW Arkansas

Comment

Alan, thank you for posting that . I have never seen one
              except in books . Your mind stats to wonder how they figured
              this out . Wood floats etc .... trade .
              Just wonderful , thanks for sharing.

Comment

I wish you the best of luck while trying to dig into the history of this Alan.
                On a side note, the amount of fascinating artifacts that are rotting away in museum storage is mind boggling.
                Bruce
                In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

Originally posted by G10+ View Post
                  Where I am from in south Florida they have one on display as well .... the front isn't squired off like that one it more rounded ... awesome to see an other on display thanks for sharing
                  The flat top ends are square, but if you see it from the side, the front & back bottom angle up towards the top like a tradional boat does. My pics don't show that.

Comment

What a cool find Thank for sharing it with us. Please keep us posted on any further details you might find out.
                    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

I remember when an archaeological survey held up sewer installation in the neighborhoods of a river that was the location of my childhood summer home, as well as year round residences of many members of our extended family. Many people complained when the project was held up for a very long time. When it resumed, workers uncovered an intact dugout canoe and the foreman ordered them to rebury it. And so it was. Nobody wanted any further delays. I only know the approximate location. Another friend of mine found a dugout canoe on a river in northwest RI. Nobody ever attempted to retrieve it to my knowledge.
                      Rhode Island

Comment

• JoshinMO
                        JoshinMO commented
                        Editing a comment
                        They could have said here, You forgot This Canoe. Ha

• CMD
                        CMD commented
                        Editing a comment
                        An acquaintance was present when the dugout was uncovered. It was next to his family property and in a marsh. And I guess there it stayed.

Hope you find out more and when you do let us know.
                      Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Wow! What a historical treasure...just sitting in a barn for 50 years...wow. It looks to be in pretty good shape still. Just think of how many of these historical treasures are lying about that have been forgotten about over the years.
                        The chase is better than the catch...
                        I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

The natives in southern New England certainly had dugouts that were ocean worthy. RI founder Roger Williams reported dugouts that could hold as many as 40 men. They must have been huge to hold that many. Here is a display at the Pequot museum in Ct. The dugouts in this instance are not ancient.
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_8368.JPG Views:	1 Size:	955.2 KB ID:	264325
                          Rhode Island

Comment

Can't wait to get down there and visit that place. Great thread, beautiful artifact.

Comment

Working...
                            X