No announcement yet.

Massachusetts N/A dugout canoe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I grew up in Central Mass in the 70's where the MDC had dammed a body of water. That body of water at the time was reported to be the 2nd cleanest in the state all spring feed. Many divers and swimmers enjoyed the clarity. It was reported/rumored that someone had found a dugout canoe at the bottom, when I don't know but that it was likely from the Native Americans in that area many years ago. That pond having a Native American name to this day. It was said by townies that it ended up perhaps in a museum in Worcester, MA. Could it be the same one? I've always wondered were it was to this day. Then I saw this post. Could it be the one? When I was a senior in high school, me and my buddies from town did a project for a class called "American Indian Literature". We decided to make our own dugout canoe after the one that was found in our town and would you know, we received an A+! I would love to know where it was stored for so long or where it is today and if you can look at it..?

Comment

• CMD
      CMD commented
      Editing a comment
      If you’re still in the area, you could message the original poster and ask him if he learned more, or you could check museums in Worcester.....

• SDhunter
      SDhunter commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, ask him. He’s still around, and promised us updates, over 3 years ago. Lol

Screenshot from video. Showing dugout found in Barrington, RI, in 1997.

Click image for larger version

Name:	A6A48A7F-591B-4471-964C-49DCA0FC4AFD.jpeg
Views:	97
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	541053

Rhode Island

Comment

Many were found in a lake in the Pocono Mt. I believe that 3 were excavated and restored and in Pa. Museums. One for sure at the State Museum. That one is on public display. All the rest were re-covered with the same mud they where found in and are still in that lake. Left there for future Archaeologist with better equipment and knowledge to restore them. Kim
      Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

Just found this for you. Kim

“Their boates are made of one tree, either of Pine, or of Pitch trees: a wood not commonly knowen to our people, nor found growing in England. They have no edge tooles to make them withall…they burne downe some great tree, or take such as are winde fallen, and putting myrrhe [sic], and rosen upon one side thereof, they sette fire into it, and when it hath burnt it hollowe, they cutte out the coale with their shels, and ever where they would burne it deeper or wider, they laye on their hummes, which burneth away the timber, and by this meanes they fashion very fine boates, and such as will transport twentie men.”
        Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

Thanks for sharing clambellies....i had an opportunity to see one of these at the tn state museum in nashville....it looked very similar to the one you have in the pic, although i dont think the one in tn is as long as the one you have in pic.
          Benny / Western Highland Rim / Tennessee

Comment

Working...
          X