Thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts?

I found this on the beach in the Houston Tx area. Is it pottery shards? Any info on type?

The first picture looks like it's tempered so may well be pottery. As to type not enough there to determine.
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Thanks. It appears to be tempered and have some texture/decoration on what I would consider the outside.

Comment

shell tempered "check stamped" pottery sherd?
        Professor Shellman
        Tampa Bay

Comment

Check for areas down in Houston .
          you cannot pull over in S Georgia and not find some swiftcreek pottery shreds on any camp site .
          It is a stamp but looks more like cloth more then a paddle .
          usualy Mississippian period .
          check out your specific area if someone there doesn't chime in.

Comment

Jman, I was going to send you a link on pottery in your area but unlike my area where it's just peachtree archeology on the swiftcreek Indian there is an overwhelming amount of posts , links , etc in your area .
            Just goggle it but be specific for your petucular area county/zone . I was shocked at all the articles and information for the Houstom
            area .
            good luck let us know what you find unless Jethro chimes in with his expertise and passion for pottery .

Comment

Thanks guys! Ill do a little more digging on it to see if I can nail it down. I have always been interested in artifacts of all kinds, however I am not an avid collector but have Managed to form a small collection of cherished artifacts.

Comment

Working...
              X