Larger Pottery Pipe Footed with Twist Design

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Larger Pottery Pipe Footed with Twist Design

This one also is a little creative in style. It has a nice twist in the stem. Looks like it was painted black way back when.

Any thoughts on the makers or origin?

Where was this found? Very nice.....

Comment

I wish I could tell you! This is one of several pieces that came from a recent collection that I purchased. These items have been packed away for 40-50 years and the previous owner passed away 16 years ago. I have photos that were given to me along with a small publication from the previous owner but unfortunately this piece is not with that information. I tried hard to find more provenance for this collection but couldn't. The previous owner was a Amateur Paleontologist from Michigan, graduated in 1941 with a A.B. in Political Science and I found at least three schools still have and possibly use his findings/observations etc. with display cases that contained approx. 50 specimen's each with a booklet he published titled, "Life from an Ancient World". The collection included approx. 70 pottery pieces, several fossils, points/blades, rocks and minerals. From what I understand he had quite a collection that was donated to a museum. These were from smaller boxes that were probably missed until the family made a recent move from Mich. to where I am in NY. Occasionally I still try and search for more provenance doing internet searches etc. but have really spent a LOT of time without much more information so pretty much concluded the pieces are what they are as seen. I know they are authentic and not roadside souvenirs as some qualified people have seen most of them, not to say one or two pieces may be more recent for teaching aides as he taught K-12 grades years ago.

Comment

This one seems to be well used also. Will be interesting to read cliffs post on this one. They were quite creative, nice piece!

Comment

Now the only place I've seen that pottery pipe design is from Mexico. It once had a bowl on it that could be plain or mostly they were wicked looking effigy things (that they must have seen when they were smoking).

Comment

Working...
          X