No announcement yet.

Does Anybody Know Bout Shell Tempering?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It appears more of history period spun European influenced piece, it's definitely not Mississippian.
       Greywolf, even though that information is somewhat vague, it still does contain a few flaws.  One of the most notable is calling the Bell plainware the most common ceramic paste.  I disagree.  It's probably the most widespread, but not the most common. Neeley's ferry and other similar pastes are found far more frequently.  The Mississippian people also utilized grog, mica, quartz, sand, bone and other tempers, to a larger or lesser extent in certain areas.

Comment

I know nothing about clay pots are how they were made. I went on line and pulled the information up to see if I could find an answer and learn something.
        I appreciate the futher education.
      Jack

Comment

I appreciate ya  thankyou    all you guys

Comment

Is it made out of soapstone? if so it my be transitional or late archaic.If you have shell or small stone most of the time quartz,or i should say up here in the northeast it would be woodland,you are so lucky to find a whole pot.

Comment

Im thinking it needs to be looked at closer as the tempering is to fine for the naked eye to see...

Comment

Working...
            X