Old find I figured I’d share again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old find I figured I’d share again

i found this a few years back at an inland site close to an ancient steatite/chlorite native quarry. It’s a chlorite platform pipe preform, one side is broken off and has been polished smooth by the brook
    call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Cool artifact Jay! Really cool to see the preform stage like that... Basically an ancient blue print, so you have the instruction guide, have at it! Jk Lol....Talk about a bunch of pecking and drilling!! Thanks for sharing that one again!
    Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Way cool find, now go out and find us a complete one!
      Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Thanks Jay, That's what dreams are made of. A very special find.
        Michigan Yooper
        If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Incredible find Jay. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Man - can you imagine how long it would take to make a pipe through that process. Jay - that's awesome. Thanks for posting the literature with it also.
            Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

• OnewiththewilD
              OnewiththewilD commented
              Editing a comment
              It takes some work but not as much as you’d think, especially if you already have the right tools and know how. Performs like this where probably trade items and if you got it already roughed out to form you could probably knock a completed pipe out of it in an afternoon.

I remember that. A great find. We have a field we have walked for decades where I located a pipe workshop area. Maybe 8 or thereabouts forms and blanks found so far. Different styles, including a probable effigy form. All but one are chlorite. The other one is steatite with drilling started at the stem. Many decades ago, like the 20's and 30's, I can only imagine the nice finished pipes that were found there. And I'll bet they were all sourced from that same quarry where your's originated....
            Rhode Island

Comment

I remember this as well, but happy to see it again
              South Dakota

Comment

Pass out cool find . This sounds wrong but what were those those NA smoking ? I know later it was Tabacoo .

Comment

• Havenhunter
                  Havenhunter commented
                  Editing a comment
                  NA smoking predates the cultivation of tobacco. Analysis of pipe residue showed that they smoked a number of botanicals & grasses-- sumac, viburnum, dogwood and willow, jimsonweed, Angel trumpets, & cedar.

Just got this Deb and thank you . Very interesting . Kind of wonder how and why they started and how early .
                think I will look that up

Comment

Been busy here late to this party for sure. Awesome find Jay and thank you for sharing it again. I never get tired of seeing artifacts.
                  TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Working...
                  X