Not just another piece of pottery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not just another piece of pottery

I was field hunting where i have found many broken pieces and rim shards that are very neat with design but when i picked this piece up it looked as if it was sitting on another. It was the handle came off all when i picked it up. Pretty cool i thought and have found another since then close to the same site with a hole through it for rope to carry it i imagine.

Sweeet!
    Professor Shellman
    Tampa Bay

Comment

Nice finds . Looks like paddle stamps . Never found a rim with any pattern on it .
      cool finds .

Comment

What do you mean by paddle stamps?

Comment

Great question , and sorry I did not elaborate on that for you .
          The paddle stamp was literally a wood paddle that had a design carved into it . They then pressed this into the pottery to achieve different patterns before the final firing .
          Check out my post 7 below yours on Swiftcreek pottery .
          you did not give your location but that is indicative of the South . There are so many links to look up under this enjoy .
          Hope this helps .

Comment

I was going to ask where you are too...the geometric designs are really cool.
            Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

South east nebraska

Comment

Those are very cool pottery pieces you found.
                The repetitive design on this piece definitely suggests that it was stamped like Tamara suggested. Click image for larger version

Name:	Inkedimage_37967_LI.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	286888
                Bruce
                In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

Sometimes those holes drilled into pottery were to fix a crack in the vessel. One hole on each side of the crack with sinew holding it together.

Comment

Working...
                  X