Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Incised clay vessel from Quaker Farms CT.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Incised clay vessel from Quaker Farms CT.

I have not posted for a while because I have been very busy since August last year. I had been looking for a new place to call home. Finally I found it in December. Since January I had been renovating my place and moving out of my old place. I still have a lot of work to do. Today I unpacked this and set it back in it's stand. Figured I would share a couple of pictures of this great pot from Western CT. Back in the 50's my Dad dug a rock shelter in Quaker Farms CT. I would say this was found after 1955 because I have the first pot he restored from a 55 dig in Derby CT. I will share pictures of that one later. This one has been packed away for 8 years. Today it felt good to bring it out into the sunshine for a couple of pictures. Click image for larger version  Name:	wy4.jpg Views:	1 Size:	176.6 KB ID:	291140 Click image for larger version  Name:	wy3.jpg Views:	1 Size:	242.3 KB ID:	291141 Click image for larger version  Name:	wy1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	85.0 KB ID:	291139 Click image for larger version  Name:	wy2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	87.5 KB ID:	291138
    Last edited by Hoss; 03-17-2018, 06:05 PM.
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

I did not have a ruler handy I left my tape measure in the garage??? Some folks may not even be able to comprehend what I used for scale. I think most will know that is a LP album sleeve . Appologies to any millenials who have no idea what that square thing is. Inside is an album which we used to use to play music.
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• Arti Facter
      Arti Facter commented
      Editing a comment
      OK, I understand. You played music on that big square thing, but where did you plug in the ear buds???
      Just kidding Hoss. I have albums dating back to the late 50's and still collect and play them..
      That is an outstanding pot you have there. I can't imagine the excitement your father felt when he came upon them. And thank you for caring for and preserving these priceless pieces.
      Last edited by Arti Facter; 03-17-2018, 03:15 PM.

• Ron Kelley
      Ron Kelley commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm surprised it's not a cylinder.

• Hoss
      Hoss commented
      Editing a comment
      Lol

Hey Matt, That is a beautiful clay vessel. Thanks for the pictures Buddy.
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

That sure is a wonderful piece of art! Do you have any idea how old it is?
      South Dakota

Comment

• Hoss
        Hoss commented
        Editing a comment
        Just a guess Gary perhap 800 to 1200 years old

Beautiful family heirloom Hoss thanks for sharing!
      N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

Beautiful vessel Matt! I'm glad you could finally get this one back out. Really neat incisizing! Thanks for sharing!
        Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Really nice Hoss.

Comment

Hoss, that’s a beauty, and whoever did the reconstruct on it was very good. Impressive.

*also, if memory serves me, an album cover is 12”?
            Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

Oh my errr you waiting for me to see this lol . I can only hope
              Hoss . No words are needed on how I feel just WOW .What they found back then . BTW what a great idea using that holder. It’s plants for me
              Now that’s the way to get that new house decorated !!

Comment

That's an amazing pot Hoss. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

What a fabulous pot. Made my day feasting my eyes on that beauty..do you know the temper used? I have some shards, course grit, no shell, thinking Vinette 1 type.

Comment

Any clay vessel intact is a beautiful thing, but one incised is extra nice. Thanks for sharing, Hoss.👍👍
                    Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

Cape Codder we never found much shell tempered potttery in CT This pot was found in Derby CT and resored by my Dad Not the best job but it was the first resporation he had ever done. t is about 3 gallons capaicity. Vinette One cord marked. The two meadowood points with the arrows pointing to them came out of the same shelter.
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	Derbypot.jpg Views:	1 Size:	111.7 KB ID:	305704 Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC00445 copy.jpg Views:	2 Size:	113.8 KB ID:	305705
                      Last edited by Hoss; 06-29-2018, 10:35 AM.

Comment

Missed this thread the first go round. That's a great and rare item for southern New England.
                        Rhode Island

Comment

Hoss this is so late in the game . First off hats off to Dad for the patience to put that all back together . I am second in line to pottery hound under Jethro so I have a question here .
                          Was this pot found under the soil in pretty much the same proximity to each other in pieces .
                          Or was this a surface find in a camp . I am yet to find a whole one and want to learn from another mans success .

Comment

Working...
                          X