Copper Celt - Michigan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copper Celt - Michigan

This Copper Celt came from my home county... I still am amazed it was in a local Estate Auction of a man who was a dedicated field walker. I included the GIRS Cert., because it has all the information, except weight... 2.2 pounds.Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_E3045.JPG Views:	1 Size:	155.0 KB ID:	291703 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_E3035.JPG Views:	1 Size:	400.2 KB ID:	291704 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_E3037.JPG Views:	1 Size:	394.0 KB ID:	291705 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_E3038.JPG Views:	1 Size:	232.3 KB ID:	291706 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_E3041.JPG Views:	1 Size:	183.5 KB ID:	291707
    Last edited by Bayport; 03-20-2018, 11:20 AM. Reason: Added weight.

Fantastic!
    Professor Shellman
    Tampa Bay

Comment

• Bayport
      Bayport commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks!! Very rare artifact for this part of Michigan. I suspect it's a Hopewell piece, because of the Hopewell influence all along the Grand River and its tributaries in west and central Michigan.

Rare and a wonderful piece .

Comment

That is a beauty thanks for sharing.
      TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• Bayport
        Bayport commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank-you, and you are welcome. It was just one of those days that I was very lucky to be in the right place at the right time.

That old copper complex material is something to behold.
      TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

That's nice. Congrats and thanks for sharing.

Comment

• Bayport
          Bayport commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank-you!

Wow!! That's a rare thing of beauty. Love the hint of verdigris patina. Congrats!
        --Deb
        Child of the tides

Comment

• Bayport
          Bayport commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Deb! I like that too.

That is a totally awesome piece for sure. I never bought an artifact yet but if I saw that the yet might have vanished. Is there any thought as to the source of the copper? Great grab man!!!
        The chase is better than the catch...
        I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

• Ron Kelley
          Ron Kelley commented
          Editing a comment
          Keweenaw Peninsula in the upper peninsula.

• Bayport
          Bayport commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank-you! Probably the Upper Peninsula of Michigan... almost pure copper was mined up there from paleo thru middle woodland times. Sources could also be Minnesota and Wisconsin,.. states bordering Lake Superior. Then there is "Float Copper" that was moved and left behind by the Glaciers.

Thanks Ron. I was thinking the UP.
        The chase is better than the catch...
        I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

Here is an interesting chart that shows the timeline for copper old cultures. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2676.JPG
Views:	854
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	291921

Comment

That is a fantastic acquisition. Thanks for sharing.
            I bumped up the size of your chart for easier reading. Click image for larger version

Name:	phptG9q4NAM.jpg
Views:	709
Size:	157.6 KB
ID:	291928
            Bruce
            In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

• Bayport
              Bayport commented
              Editing a comment
              That's great... Thanks!!

This was actually my Dad's! I was completely devastated when I found out all of his hard found artifacts were sold at the estate auction. I heard the auctioneer called them "a box of rocks"!
            Can't believe I googled the name of the piece and would find the actual celt of my father's!

Comment

• Cecilia
              Cecilia commented
              Editing a comment
              Your dad’s incredible treasure has stirred up quite a flurry of admiration and appreciation in this forum...lasting 3 yrs! He would be proud to know that, just as I’m sure he’s proud you made efforts to know where it’s been!

Great piece of history. The copper could also have come from Isle Royale. A large island on Lake Superior. Over a thousand pits have been found on the island related to the mining and extraction of copper in ancient times. Activity related to copper dates as far back as 4,500 years. The massive amounts of copper taken from the island were traded far and wide. Chemical analysis has been able to identify the “fingerprint” of copper from the island so it can be identified in the archaeological record of sites all around the country. Thanks for sharing.
            Uncle Trav- Southwest Michigan

Comment

• Ron Kelley
              Ron Kelley commented
              Editing a comment
              Hey Trav, The copper runs the full length of the Keweenaw Peninsula and yes all the way out to Isle Royale.

• Uncle Trav
              Uncle Trav commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes sir. Beautiful country up that way and full of deep history.

Do a search for Old copper culture/Complex and will find some good info for those who have never heard or seen these type of artifacts.

Comment

Amazing artifact. Great thread. Although copper artifacts have been found as far east as Trenton NJ I know of none in South Jersey where I live. So I look in complete, total awe.
              New Jersey

Comment

Working...
              X