Woodland Stamped Shard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woodland Stamped Shard?

I know next to nothing about pottery, but I came across this in a wash near a rock shelter in Northeast Georgia earlier today while looking for points. I’ve found a lot of flakes and broken points that I figured for Archaic there, but this looks like Woodland pottery, probably stamped. Does anyone know enough to give a firmer date or assign a type for it, or at least point me towards a resource for learning more? Very exciting find for me!

I don’t think that’s woodland stamped. It looks way more modern than that. Not like white people modern, but since I’m not familiar with the tribal history of that region, I can’t say for sure. If it were here I’d call it middle to late Mississippian or maybe early Quapaw.
    woodland stamped is way more random and less geometric. I’ve got some woodland slabs out in my shop but it’s dark and cold or I would go get one and post a pic for you...
    awe hell. I’m Going to anyway. Be back in a few.....
    Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

This is actually what I would call a transitional piece, woodland to early Mississippian....but the construction is similar. The woodland did not have the knowledge of the shell tempering that was learned by later peoples. I have found some woodland pieces 3/4” thick, but most average around 1/2”, like this one. The “stamped” appearance is more of a cross hatched functional appliqué, not so much a design like you would see in later pieces such as what you have there. Sorry, this piece doesn’t have any stamped sections, but this weekend I’ll pick some up and post some pics. I’ve got to get some to send to Ron and Tam anyway....and I’m finally getting a chance to go gathering.

Comment

And I may have found it...
        might be a sherd of “crooked river stamped”...

Comment

Sorry for highjacking your thread....I get excited about pottery.

theres a good link to learn a bit about your local stuff...

Comment

Appreciate the help! I had also seen some Mississippian pottery that looked similar, but I wasn’t sure considering it was in the rock shelter. I guess they would still have used such a location when hunting etc though.

The Crooked River looks just like it. The geographic range they give is North Florida and South Georgia though, so a long ways from where it was found. But the people staying here got around. I’ve found lots of flakes from non-native chert that had to have come from a hundred miles or more away.

Comment

• Jethro355
              Jethro355 commented
              Editing a comment
              The etowah complicated stamped is probably closer as far as distribution, and the types sorta overlap form-wise...

• Jethro355
              Jethro355 commented
              Editing a comment
              I ran down a rabbit hole on that link.😳

• silvereel
              silvereel commented
              Editing a comment
              Going down the rabbit hole is much appreciated.

Ok I just found this .
            thats classic Swiftcreek .
            you can go to peach tree Archeology

Comment

• Jethro355
              Jethro355 commented
              Editing a comment
              🕺tam knows this Georgia stuff...

• silvereel
              silvereel commented
              Editing a comment
              Sorry for the late response, just wanted to say thanks (to both of you). Definitely Swift Creek. Exciting find, I've gone back and found a few more pieces, although most are undecorated. Very cool site that seems to reveal more with every rain.

• Jethro355
              Jethro355 commented
              Editing a comment
              👍any knowledge I can share is knowledge that was taught to me and shared by others, this is how we learn.

Jethro , your the king of the pottery fields . You already had it I didn’t see your other post .

Comment

Boy I can’t wait to get there you have been getting blasted with rain . 3 weeks

Comment

• Jethro355
                Jethro355 commented
                Editing a comment
                We got about 3 more inches last night...just made it out and back to civilization. All this rain is now headed to the east/north east...

I know looked at NOAA I can’t get there fast enough . They got 2 in last week... gotta hope .

Comment

Comment

• Broken Arrow
                  Broken Arrow commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I find that stuff all over the place around here., there's so much of it I've stopped picking it up.

Nice , boy it did rain !

Comment

• Jethro355
                  Jethro355 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It rained and rained and rained...This is about 7' deep, forty feet wide, 100' long...

Comment

Heart racing and the hunt is ON !

Comment

Glad you guys are having luck. The rain was good to me as well. Some more stamped shards, and some of the pieces look to be the rim of a large bowl. Not sure whether it's all Woodland, it's a lot harder to tell with the undecorated ones:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2485.jpg Views:	1 Size:	179.1 KB ID:	297235
                    Red rim shard: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2489.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	297243

Nice chunky quartz temper in the stamped ones: Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2487.jpg Views:	1 Size:	41.8 KB ID:	297236 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2488.jpg Views:	1 Size:	91.4 KB ID:	297237
                    Last edited by silvereel; 04-25-2018, 09:27 PM.

Comment

• silvereel
                      silvereel commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I added a better picture of one of the rim pieces I found. Very prominent curve, and one side is tan, one red. I've been doing some research and it might be Mississippian, since only one side is colored, and kinda unevenly too.
                  Working...
                  X