Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broken Arrow
    commented on 's reply
    I find that stuff all over the place around here., there's so much of it I've stopped picking it up.

• Tam
    replied
    Very nice . Georgia has the red clay all over . I have and old chimney that has all old red bricks over 100 years old .
    each one is stamped . Put it under all things collectable last Nov trying to get the guys to take it down and make anything from a giant backyard barbecue to gate .
    sorry this flipped from woodland but it’s pottery/ Brick that was made from local clay .

Leave a comment:

• Jethro355
    commented on 's reply
    The red we see around here is the very essence of Mississippian pottery. They named it after the site where they supposed it originated from, or at least radiated from, it's called Old Town Red. The site is about 20~miles south of Helena on the end of a huge oxbow lake called old town lake. The Mississippi River levee cuts through the site and so does a highway now. It was the precursor to the Polychrome of the more modern Quapaw, and the Nodena red &white. I have a Modena red and white long narrow neck bottle that you could effectively bludgeon a person to death with without fear of damaging the bottle. I have a polychrome long narrow neck that is a frail as a sickly kitten. Although The first (Nodena)is a little bit older, the conditional difference is in the soil they are found in.

• Tam
    replied
    Didn’t know , thanks Jethro

Leave a comment:

• Jethro355
    replied
    Most likely Mississippian, that red is dead give away....beautiful pieces!!

Leave a comment:

• silvereel
    commented on 's reply
    I added a better picture of one of the rim pieces I found. Very prominent curve, and one side is tan, one red. I've been doing some research and it might be Mississippian, since only one side is colored, and kinda unevenly too.

• silvereel
    replied
    Glad you guys are having luck. The rain was good to me as well. Some more stamped shards, and some of the pieces look to be the rim of a large bowl. Not sure whether it's all Woodland, it's a lot harder to tell with the undecorated ones:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2485.jpg Views:	1 Size:	179.1 KB ID:	297235
    Red rim shard: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2489.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	297243

Nice chunky quartz temper in the stamped ones: Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2487.jpg Views:	1 Size:	41.8 KB ID:	297236 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2488.jpg Views:	1 Size:	91.4 KB ID:	297237
    Last edited by silvereel; 04-25-2018, 09:27 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Tam
    replied
    Heart racing and the hunt is ON !

Leave a comment:

• Jethro355
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Jethro355
    commented on 's reply
    It rained and rained and rained...This is about 7' deep, forty feet wide, 100' long...

• Tam
    replied
    Nice , boy it did rain !

Leave a comment:

• Jethro355
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Tam
    replied
    I know looked at NOAA I can’t get there fast enough . They got 2 in last week... gotta hope .

Leave a comment:

• Jethro355
    commented on 's reply
    👍any knowledge I can share is knowledge that was taught to me and shared by others, this is how we learn.

• Jethro355
    commented on 's reply
    We got about 3 more inches last night...just made it out and back to civilization. All this rain is now headed to the east/north east...
Working...
X