More Georgia Sherds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Georgia Sherds

Here are a couple more pieces from the NE GA rock shelter I've been going to. Most of what I've found is undecorated, which I assume can't really be IDed, but these two pieces have some design. I think the one on the left is probably still paddle marked, but it doesn't look the like the same Swift Creek type that the first sherd I found was. At first I thought it was incised, but on closer inspection I don't think that's the case.

The other piece is weird. It almost looks like a flat base that you'd get from a potter's wheel, but they definitely didn't have those. I think it's still ancient pottery, though. Any idea what it is? Is it just a piece of design making it look like that?

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	296575

The designs wear down . I have some that look like they were made yesterday and the faint like the first one .
    just by the pic I’ll take a shot at the second one being a part of the lip or rim .
    I have actually found some on my property in S G that have no design but nice thick rims at the top like that.

Comment

The one on the right is likely a piece of rimbut it Could be part of a small clay gorgette if it’s real flat...
      Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

Teach teach us Jethro , what would that be ?

Comment

Here are a few more shots of it from different angles. I didn't realize some gorgets were made of clay.

Comment

Working...
          X