Largest piece I have found

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Largest piece I have found

Actually Wayne found this large piece of Swiftcreek paddle stamp . You can actually see in one photo where they started the next pattern with the line .

Wow Click image for larger version

Name:	image_42635.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	302234
    Last edited by 2ndoldman; 05-29-2018, 02:02 PM.
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

Really neat design Tam looked through a book on that pottery type and did not see a design like that may be an undiscovered design.
      South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

HeyTam, Those are most beautiful. WOW to the Nth degree. Can you just imagine the beauty of the whole pot?
        Michigan Yooper
        If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

You know what gets me on this pottery is how thin it really is . Why they made it like that . The obvious to me is it’s going to crack much easier but I am sure they learned through trial
          and error this worked best .
          But what was held in such thin pots .
          Enquiring minds need to know .
          my next project .... get back to ya

Comment

A striking potsherd Tam - could it be that you've found one of the 'Lost Tribes of Israel'??

Click image for larger version  Name:	PotShard-Tam.jpg Views:	1 Size:	79.5 KB ID:	302016
            Last edited by Olden; 05-30-2018, 10:26 PM.
            If the women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Comment

Wow that is a great piece, Tam!!!
              Professor Shellman
              Tampa Bay

Comment

Thats one gorgeous and intricate pot shard! Thanks for sharing it!
                Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

• Tam
                  Tam commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You are welcome . Looking for the other pieces . You know what the armadillos are rooting up the soil and unlike hogs leave delicate piles for the rain .

I can't stop looking at this shard it is absolutely beautiful!
                N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

• Tam
                  Tam commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I know I left it in Georgia and keep looking at it in pics . That’s going in a case .

That’s about as good as it gets without finding a whole pot! Very nice Tam, and great pics.

Olden...you may be on to something....😇
                Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

A couple links for those that would like to know more about Swift Creek Pottery..

Collections held by natural history museums are like a library of life, with millions of objects that document change through time in the environment and in life itself. These records of life on Earth become even more vital as we face global challenges such as climate change and biodiversity loss.

Neill Wallis, associate curator of archaeology at the Florida Museum of Natural History, explains Swift Creek Complicated Stamped Pottery, including how it i...
                  If the women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Comment

Very nice Olden it makes me wonder what I would find if I dug that deep . Most of our finds are surface so you can imagine. Or animals just going down 1/2 ft with rain . Pottery on my property with no stamp and the Archaic point tells me I have a fun future there .

Comment

I would have given up the ghost. That is an awesome piece! How in tarnation did they get it to look like that?
                      "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

That is a paddle stamp . It’s the swiftcreek tribe . It’s on the link . They would carve it into wood paddle then apply it . I actually tried that technique and it never comes out as good .

Comment

That is beautiful!
                          South Carolina

Comment

Working...
                          X