i like to know what these are?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i like to know what these are?

if anybody knows what these could be i'd like to know... i found 2 broken bone or stone pieces that look like they were pins or something. i found them under a cliff overhang in eastern kentucky...

Need to see better pictures. Could be a punch of some type.

Comment

thanks i bet your right they were hole punchers of some type thnks i got more pics though im gonna try to post here for you and others...

Comment

Better pics would help, but the top one looks like the tip of a bone awl.

Comment

Some various angles on the pics would help immensley. It looks pretty smooth as though they spent alot of time on it. I would lean towards an awl for sure it appears to taper to a point from what I can see. The second pic looks almost like a preform to a small bead, kind of a bannerstone shape almost. That one's got me curious, looking fwd to other pics. Hope that helps a little Bill

Comment

Top one looks like the tip of a bone "pin".  the second pic looks like a midsection of a bone awl/tool.  That's if they are bone.  Lick them and see if they stick to your tongue.  Bone sticks a bit.  Stone will not, neither will shell.  Fossil and artifact bone will stick like tiny velcro..  Try it on your bone pieces that are not preserved.  Must be dry first.
            Works every time for me and I've found a lot of bone tools.  Bone tools can be white to tan to yellowish to brown to black, depending on the soil and conditions they were preserved in originally.
            Always preserve any bone material, artifactual or fossil with Duco Cement and Acetone.  JMHOP   Use Dr. Gomer's Solution
            Professor Shellman
            Tampa Bay

Comment

i suck when it comes to these pics but im guessing bone and that they were awls or hole punchers or something there is not much of them and this one looks to be sanded down to a point... thnks for comments and trying to help me out i really appreciate it...

Comment

I believe it's made of bone and i found them in kentucky under a rock shelter buried in dirt one is dark brown and one is light brown. when i get them wet i can see where it looks like they were sanded to be shaped this way and one of them comes to a point . i think the one is an awl or something and the other i have no clue they both need more to be able to tell i think.

Comment

Working...
                X