8.2 Lbs. of GA pottery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8.2 Lbs. of GA pottery

I'm back! Did you miss me? Even if you didn't, here is what I found. (Arrowheads are in another topic) The field we were supposed to search in was pure, white sand, totally void of rocks. Being from Kentucky, this was a total shock to my system. Even the creek had no rocks, and had a sand bottom! Anyways, here they are.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0984.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	163.2 KB
ID:	314670 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0990.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	314671
    This is what I call waffle cone pottery.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0989.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	314672 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0993.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	314673 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0992.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	142.3 KB
ID:	314674

These pieces are a few of many others in my pile. 80% of the pile has design marked on it.
    Attached Files
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

The picture is totally deceiving. There is a lot more pottery in the top picture than it shows.
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

Very nice score
      TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Interesting stuff ya got there KP. Tam has info regarding Georgia pottery and you can find a lot of info here as well https://archaeology.uga.edu/gip/quick-key You can use the quick key as a descriptive guide for your pottery pieces, like punctuated or lined or decorated etc. This website has info dating from late archaic period and features over 400 types of pottery. As you will learn there are different methods of firing pottery and how it's made. It's a whole new dimension in artifact collecting and you're off to a good start.
        Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Wow you kicked butt man awesome pottery . I got friends here in Connecticut been kicking a long time and dont have one little piece. You should visit Georgia again.... congrats
          SW Connecticut

Comment

That’s a nice haul there Kentucky . There is so many interesting styles in the Southeast .
            Your waffle cone one in a book I have is called a check stamp. Chuck gave you the link .
            The rest look like some nice incised pieces . That’s where they make the design with a stick or what was available .
            you probably have some nice cord and textile stamps .
            Just like it sounds that’s what they used .
            We have a nice link on peachtree archeology
            Johnny has great information it’s his backyard to .

Comment

• Kentucky point
              Kentucky point commented
              Editing a comment
              I looked up peachtree, and found some really cool info on my shards. They all appear to date from the 1500s, to the 1700s. Really cool stuff. I was literally tripping over that stuff all day. You would have liked that site.

I actually pick up the unusual stuff now in clay color or patterns . I leave the rest for the next person .You can look at some of my posts . Nothing Iike Hoss or Jethro in full pots . I am humbled by their finds . There is just to much right . I have never found the check stamp . I read that the swiftcreek traveled East and then back West because of the foreign people coming . So much you can read about that pottery . I have actually found true arrowheads in their camps . Those only being of the last made before modern times .

Comment

Great haul of pot shards KP the check stamp is one of my favorites! Here in WNC there is thought to be a lot of influence from Georgia as in Swift Creek and Lamar styles/culture.
              N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

Hey Ethan, You have some beautiful potsherds there. Great hunt buddy.
                Michigan Yooper
                If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Love those pottery pieces! Great stuff, Sand is sometimes used as a tempering agent, I see a little rock in one too, look around there might be a half battered piece of quartz laying around. Sandy soil, good drainage.
                  New Jersey

Comment

Originally posted by kayakaddict View Post
                    Love those pottery pieces! Great stuff, Sand is sometimes used as a tempering agent, I see a little rock in one too, look around there might be a half battered piece of quartz laying around. Sandy soil, good drainage.
                    No kidding on that sandy soil for drainage . I am about 500 ft min above a creek and it can rain like crazy . The drainage is so nice . Down the hill at a friends house they have red clay
                    whoa that is a mess !

Comment

I don’t know... sometime pottery is much more interesting than points in my opinion. I’ve only found 4 pieces here in PA. 1 incised, 1 cord marked, and my 2 favorites... cob impressed. I think the cord marked can be interesting because you see evidence of their handiwork in two forms... the cordage and pottery.

Comment

The ones that always get me deep inside are the ones with the finger prints in them...not the actual print
                        Ike the FBI would look for, but the indentations made by fingers in the wet clay...it really gives me a feeling of connection to an actual person. It’s hard to describe.
                        Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

Working...
                        X