When get a chance to see old sites

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When get a chance to see old sites

This little leather fringe comes from a Ute encampment. Hard to get into and a lot of walking. But this site produced some amazing finds. I took a day two months ago to it with my Dad more for a look around. As my dad and I talked we both agreed it was more sentimental of the time spent there. It had been about ten years for both of us from visiting the site which has a wickeeup still standing. It holds many memories and when up there it was said if these trees could talk. the stories they would tell. I'm sure the stories they would tell on our time spent there would fill a book. He wanted to visit the wickeeup for another time and I was happy to be able to be on that trip. As we found little but gave me the sense we were home and huge part of my youth growing up. We took our time getting there and back for I stayed paced with him as we walked and talked. We come in from different directions from where we live, I have gone both ways both are spectacular. this time I came in the other direction and met him to make the drive together. You round a bend on a road to a canyon and it opens up to a place that is in another world trapped in time. A mountain center with the valley floor surrounding it and still twenty miles away. One trip I will remember, and glad to share. Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCN1757.JPG Views:	1 Size:	63.7 KB ID:	317508 Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCN1759 (1).JPG Views:	1 Size:	94.6 KB ID:	317509 Click image for larger version  Name:	wickeup 2.JPG Views:	1 Size:	342.9 KB ID:	317510 Click image for larger version  Name:	wickeup1.JPG Views:	1 Size:	322.7 KB ID:	317511
    Last edited by chase; 09-04-2018, 06:08 PM.
    Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Way cool Chase.
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Chase , I have studied so many books on the Paleoindian and Early Archaic Southeast because that’s where I am at and that’s what I am finding . Of course Woodland .
      This post promted me to start looking up the Ute .
      All the different tribes and their ways .
      Have you seen a burial tree with its 90 deg bends ? I remember you said you hunt trees .

Comment

Hey Chase, I love the pictures. I could just sit there and dream of ancient times.
        Michigan Yooper
        If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

There has got to be just an ancient...eerie yet peaceful and calm feeling that comes over one when in that kind of area...yes if those trees could talk...I love those remote areas where the silence is deafening...
          Last edited by BabaORiley; 09-05-2018, 02:27 PM.
          The chase is better than the catch...
          I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

• chase
            chase commented
            Editing a comment
            it is a place where the silents has a buzz or ringing.
        Working...
        X