Some nice pottery sherds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some nice pottery sherds

Click image for larger version  Name:	634A19FB-561E-4962-AE2F-B6EA3176B8B9.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	86.0 KB ID:	319430 Click image for larger version  Name:	874B0C83-431E-4FD1-8FAE-373D0395F51C.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	124.2 KB ID:	319429 Click image for larger version  Name:	9951892E-EEA0-4703-8E14-948BEFCB2FEA.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	163.6 KB ID:	319428 Click image for larger version  Name:	D361C1A6-C937-43A7-A425-45C71A1FD256.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	104.2 KB ID:	319427 A friend of mine brought these in and showed me the other day. They came from west river SD, found many years ago by some relative...

Click image for larger version  Name:	5DC8708F-EFE1-4CE2-8231-E840D1CEDDAF.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	121.3 KB ID:	319426
    Last edited by tomclark; 09-12-2018, 08:50 AM.
    South Dakota

Those are some nice pieces ...wow
    SW Connecticut

Comment

Those are great! Awesome pieces!
      "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

Wow!
        Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Beautiful I love the top ones rim pattern reminds me of some of my local patterns. Thanks for showing!
          N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

Nice pieces and like Sugaree said the pottery looks like the pottery in our area also.
            South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

Sherds lol Real nice pieces boom.
              Professor Shellman
              Tampa Bay

Comment

• SDhunter
                SDhunter commented
                Editing a comment
                Ethan, sherd is a term that describes a fragment of pottery. Spelled shard too I believe.

• tomclark
                tomclark commented
                Editing a comment
                "A shard is a broken piece of china, glass, ceramic, etc (METAL?)., with edges that are sharp. Usually, shards are the result of shattering something such as a dish or glass. The word shard is derived from the Old English word sceard, meaning gap or incision. The plural form of shard is shards.

A sherd is a broken piece of pottery with edges that are sharp, usually referring to one that is found in an archaeological site.

In essence, the words shard and sherd are interchangeable, though the term sherd is favored by archaeologists.

Sherd is an abbreviation of the word potsherd, which has been in use since the 1300s. The plural of sherd is sherds."

I always use and correct each one, not essentially interchangeable to me. All the dictionaries have varying different origins and usages but mention that Archaeologists overwhelmingly use sherd for pottery but people do use them both all the time.

I've found many pounds of pottery and those sherds are fantastic woi.

• Kentucky point
                Kentucky point commented
                Editing a comment
                Wow! That is a lot of info! I thought that ya'll were being funny.

Hey Gary, Very interesting that people have seen very similar potsherds. When i saw that first rim piece my thoughts were: wow that looks just like the pattern on some of my U.P. potsherds.
              Michigan Yooper
              If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Very nice hunks of pottery.
                TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Gary - did they have any descriptions that accompanied the pottery. I assume it's fired clay with various patterns. ??
                  Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

• SDhunter
                    SDhunter commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Sorry Chuck. They didn’t know anything about the stuff. I wish I knew more about pottery

• Scorpion68
                    Scorpion68 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Me to.

Those are some very nice shreds . They do look like our southern types .
                  Looks to be incised which is a way to make the design for those who do not know . Love that rim piece that could be a thumbnail design . Very cool if it is you have to look at it close . It’s the persons nail so that’s personal .
                  or it’s punctured like holes .
                  love it ....,

Comment

Gary , I really started looking at that close . Could be a cord design . They would wrap cord around a piece of wood and roll it . It has that precision look to it on the top third pic . Textile patterns also might have been used . Using literally a textile . But do see incised .
                    Just my opion being an enthusiast not holding it or looking at it under a scope .

Comment

Thanks Tam for your insight. I’m learning something new.
                      South Dakota

Comment

Here are some of your local pottery patterns from the Mitchell site east river not west though. Just thought you might like to see. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3192.JPG
Views:	198
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	319648
                        N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

• SDhunter
                          SDhunter commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Thanks for adding this Marshall!

Marshall , that is a very impressive case . We should keep that by piece so people can learn .
                        Really nice ! I know I am going to enjoy looking at each piece individually . Might have to screen shot each .
                        Just great !!!!

Comment

Working...
                        X