Two questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two questions

I have two questions about my pottery sherds. I found these in GA, and I was wondering about what time period they came fro. That's question one. Question two is: Now that I got them, how should I preserve them? They seem to leave a lot of dust behind.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0992.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	142.3 KB
ID:	322157 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0990.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	322158
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Those are all body sherds, no rim pieces. And probably from closer to the top neck area of the original vessel. Most vessels aren't decorated down around the lower portion or the bottom. Most of those are incised, and the one is stamped. I would have to go through my books on SE pottery types, which would take a while. There's enough decoration to identify the pottery type. I would think those are all Mississippian and later, ca. 800 A.D. -1400 A.D. All you should have to do is clean those gently with a soft toothbrush under water, and ny loose dirt will wash off. That might be the dust your seeing, just loose dirt. You don't and shouldn't do anything to preserve them. They will be fine if just lightly brushed and cleaned. They have survived at least 600 years in the ground, unpreserved, and if you spray them with anything, you will ruin the natural appearance of the surface. They're already fired and tempered with probably grit, or shell, and should be fine if you put those in a black riker mount for display.
    http://www.ravensrelics.com/

Comment

I agree with all of what Paul said. 100%
    Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

This site from the University of Georgia has some great information as well as time periods, locations and photos.

Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Peach State Archaeological Society has a great resource here. http://www.peachstatearchaeologicals...ry/332-pottery
        TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• gregszybala
          gregszybala commented
          Editing a comment
          That's a great site, too bad every state doesn't have one like it.

• Hoss
          Hoss commented
          Editing a comment
          I love looking at that Link Greg the Society did a great job putting that on line. I go to their shows down there and anyone who has never been to a Georgia show ought to go to one. Great artifacts and great friendly knowledgeable people.

That last stamped one is very cool! I love the design.
        South Dakota

Comment

• Kentucky point
          Kentucky point commented
          Editing a comment
          I call it "waffle cone" pottery.
      Working...
      X