Game pieces?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Game pieces?

Catron County, New Mexico. Unsure if these pieces are even related! Unsure of materials used.

Not game pieces, from what I see, but rather pottery. That swirly looking piece is awesome!
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

Nice finds ..good eye
      SW Connecticut

Comment

The undecorated piece is likely a ceramic gamepiece. This was a common end use of broken ceramics among the Ancestral Puebloan. Could also be the case with the spiral piece, but the unevenness makes it hard for me to know if it's a gamepiece or just a broken sherd. It's a very cool piece though, the spiral being a common design throughout the Americas, and often considered a migration symbol among present day Puebloan clans. Spiral petroglyphs are very common at Ancestral Puebloan sites in the Southwest.

The last photo on this page is a tray of ceramic game pieces, fashioned from broken vessels:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1654.PNG
Views:	179
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	331349

Last edited by CMD; 11-09-2018, 08:05 AM.
        Rhode Island

Comment

Our daughter CJ is a rock/fossil hunter, so only the unusual 'pottery' pieces make it into her bag. When she showed these to me she speculated on them being game pieces. She'll be thrilled to know she was (at the least) 50% right! For the record, I was 100% right when I suggested she take them out of her 'rock boxes!
          Sincerest appreciation - T

Comment

• CMD
            CMD commented
            Editing a comment
            I think you're daughter's speculation was very likely spot on, and the spiral sherd is probably a game piece as well.

Those are real cool. That southwestern pottery is awesome.
          Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

Most likely game pieces.. I did not know about them being found in the southwest. I have a few from Mississippian sites in TN. They are often made of pottery in the South Eastern states. Although crude in form it looks like the stone one was shaped by man. Charlie nice information there.
            Last edited by Hoss; 11-10-2018, 03:36 PM.
            TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Yeah those are really cool finds Charlie. You wonder just what the swirl could be a symbol of as there are so many things in nature that it could be. That is one real cool piece dude...
              The chase is better than the catch...
              I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

Originally posted by BabaORiley View Post
                Yeah those are really cool finds Charlie. You wonder just what the swirl could be a symbol of as there are so many things in nature that it could be. That is one real cool piece dude...
                In the Southwest, it is a migration symbol. Some clans migrated in a counterclockwise fashion, some in a clockwise. So one often finds both clockwise and counterclockwise spirals occurring as petroglyphs at both cliff dwelling and mesa top pueblo sites. Another version of clan migration symbols was clockwise and counterclockwise swastika symbols, as I described in this older thread:

This Hohokam red on buff bowl was found on private property near Queen Creek, Az. It dates 750-950 A.D. And was collected by Mina Brooks of Oak Creek, Az years ago
                Rhode Island

Comment

Hey thanks CMD. I thought it may have some local meaning but I was never aware of the migration patterns of the SW Native Americans. I only recently started delving into the history of the SW people.
                  The chase is better than the catch...
                  I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

Love the SW pottery . All the Pueblo colors and different styles .

Comment

Great thread
                      South Dakota

Comment

Working...
                      X