Gorgets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gorgets

Two gorgets I found thought to be slate or a slate like material. The one on the white paper is broke and it looks like it would be the shape of the paper if whole. The other one with tally marks was found in two pieces and some more is missing. Click image for larger version

Name:	100_6234.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	336464
    South East Ga. Twin City

Nice, on my still to find bucket list
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Man those are great! Even a piece of one is rare. Killers!
      Professor Shellman
      Tampa Bay

Comment

Nice finds willjo ...I like the one with saw tooth edges
        SW Connecticut

Comment

The old men who taught me everything each had several of these, and I’ve always wanted to find one, but alas...my search continues...
          Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

Macrocallista (Venus Clam) shell one holer with two other whelk shell "discs" that may have been preforms for gorgets...and a two holer with a hand "effigy" and scalloped edges found by Quigley around Tampa Bay.
            Professor Shellman
            Tampa Bay

Comment

• willjo
              willjo commented
              Editing a comment
              Those are really nice Tom, I most likely won't find any shell gorgets because places where they are is illegal to hunt in Ga.

Now those are some amazing finds gentleman . Bucket list for sure .

Comment

Beautiful Finds Willjo ! I have a special appreciation for Gorgets as I have owned some of the best. These were found by a buddy who sold them to me right after he found them.. I couldn't afford them and sold them the following month for double what I paid for em.. I would pay double what I sold them for to get them back today.
              These are Lightning Welk shell Gorgets. eventually 7 total in a Cache found on Private property in Wilco.

Central TX

Comment

• south fork
                south fork commented
                Editing a comment
                Great drilled shell artifacts .

• willjo
                willjo commented
                Editing a comment
                There is some over on east coast similar to what Tomclark posted with some really fantastic art work on them, have seen a few in Museums. Yours were some nice examples.

Nice finds willjo of a rare artifact that are hard to find intact .

Comment

• willjo
                willjo commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes I was pleased to find them.

Willjo,

Great examples. I like how you fixed the one with white paper, great idea for showing what is missing.

Joshua
              Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

Very cool gorgets. ditto on the one with the teeth. One of a kind.
                New Jersey

Comment

Working...
                X