Drilled Shell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drilled Shell

Drilled abalone from N. California found on private property .
    Last edited by south fork; 12-09-2018, 12:18 PM.

Wow, Would love to find shell artifacts like those.
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Those are incredible! When I was kid I lived in the Silicon Valley, the neighbor across the street would scuba diva in Montery bay and collect abalone. The shells have the coolest colors. Did you find those S. Fork ? I can barely see the rainbow colors. Do you have better photos?
      Central TX

Comment

Originally posted by KrisRock View Post
        Those are incredible! When I was kid I lived in the Silicon Valley, the neighbor across the street would scuba diva in Montery bay and collect abalone. The shells have the coolest colors. Did you find those S. Fork ? I can barely see the rainbow colors. Do you have better photos?
        Thanks KrisRock I traded for these from my hunting buddy Artifact Jack . They were in unstable shape I have slowly stabilized them and have them in a case , A couple of old photos .

Comment

Those are very cool! They are very fragile from being exposed from all those years, so finding whole ones, in good condition must be very exciting!
          "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

The NA’s loved abalone , it’s beautiful stuff too.. People love it today !My son has bought me every abalone Case pocket knife style made.Anyway ya made a good trade .......JJ
            Lubbock County Tx

Comment

Those are superbly impeccable Dennis thanks for showing them
              SW Connecticut

Comment

Thanks for the upgraded photos, Much better. Congrats on a beautiful rescue.
                Central TX

Comment

Hey Dennis, That is a lot of beautiful bling. I like the design of two holes to keep the shell flat. I will probably try to simulate that with some quahog.
                  Michigan Yooper
                  If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Kelley View Post
                    Hey Dennis, That is a lot of beautiful bling. I like the design of two holes to keep the shell flat. I will probably try to simulate that with some quahog.
                    Some three hole pieces in the box .This is how they came to me ouch .

Comment

All found during water line construction on private property . It was a shamans / Medicine woman's basket hat a person of high honor . Shell was sewn on fur / hide / or fiber . Here's a Hoopa ? Shaman / Medicine women . And the way I imagine it would look .

Comment

Rare and amazing finds! Thanks for posting. Shells disintegrate in our soil here.
                        New Jersey

Comment

Thanks for sharing Dennis
                          South Dakota

Comment

Absolutely lovely. No abalone here in VA but I remember my dad bringing them home from the beach when we lived in CA.
                            Child of the tides

Comment

I was wondering if they made use of the breathing holes that line the shell ? that is some tough drilling . Maybe just pieces picked up on the beach and reworked ground to shape and drilled .

Comment

Working...
                              X