Phoenix button

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phoenix button

Picked up this killer little Phoenix button from a good friend today. Found in the 1950’s during an OAS dig at the decker site near St. Helens Oregon. Thanks for the look

Rev. war or civil war? nice button.

Comment

• Holedigger
      Holedigger commented
      Editing a comment
      these date to around 1820-1830
      Last edited by Holedigger; 01-22-2019, 11:13 PM.

Hard to see, what is the writing? Is it military?
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

• Holedigger
      Holedigger commented
      Editing a comment
      Here is a link explaining the buttons best I can find. Some of the history of how they got where they ended up is still a mystery but it explains the basics.

• gregszybala
      gregszybala commented
      Editing a comment
      thanks

Holedigger, my relics are in storage while I’m working overseas, but I have 7 or 8 of those from the Southern Caribbean and Venezuela. They are almost religious relics among black people down there who viewed the King Henry as a freedom fighter. The Southern ones are almost always punched with a hole for suspension.

I had no idea they were found in Oregon.
    Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

• Holedigger
      Holedigger commented
      Editing a comment
      The vast majority of the ones brought to America ended up here in Oregon and spread across the west coast. Most found around this area are associated with burials and found on caches and many are punched for suspension I believe one as big as 250+ buttons in a cache were found at the mouth of the cowliz river. I had no idea of the history or importance outside of North America. Thanks for th info.

Wow - that small button sure is drenched in history.
    An early slave uprising against some of the world's heavy hitters, to establish their own government; Thomas Jefferson's Louisiana Purchase, moved to the west coast to a traders outlet to be bartered to the natives (just a few short years after Lewis & Clark's arrival), AND has the really cool motto 'I rose from my own ashes': that's what I'd call a great acquisition!

Click image for larger version

Name:	P-Button.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	345495

If the women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Comment

Very interesting thread. Thanks for sharing
      South Dakota

Comment

Who knew a button could have such a story?
        South Dakota

Comment

Working...
        X