No announcement yet.

NE Bone Harpoon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My guess is the first examples shown may have been seal harpoons, bay seals were once abundant along the coast, and the ones shown in wmw’s frames, except for the socket piece in the second pic, were either the center points or side blades to fish and crustation spears. Like these crude examples here Click image for larger version

Name:	30B63426-D90B-4036-B248-5F2DDA773D4F.jpeg
Views:	161
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	354664
    call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

Alan, I echo Hoss, thanks for starting this thread. Great info and photos. Always been on my artifact bucket list, but as Hoss noted, around here our acidic soil isn't kind to bone, you don't expect to find them on the surface, most must originate in shell middens and shell refuse pits, where the lime in the shell neutralizes the acid. Here are a couple more examples from the Northeast.

Don't know the scale on this example from the Robbins Museum in Middleborough, Mass:

Click image for larger version  Name:	F0E6D6D6-98AB-4676-BB14-F972841B1288-3479-000001F202797B88.png Views:	1 Size:	853.0 KB ID:	354677 This one is just at 2". It was excavated in 1938-39, by amateurs Mr. and Mrs. K.O.Palmer, from a midden at the Jack's Reef Site, the site after which the Woodland point type was named, and located on the Seneca River, NY.

Click image for larger version  Name:	0787C319-C0CD-4B00-845C-8A409AA14F81-3479-000001F226337586.png Views:	1 Size:	749.0 KB ID:	354678
      Click image for larger version  Name:	1A67933B-C41B-4157-85AB-2F4B2D847AFB-3479-000001F25DCE9148.png Views:	1 Size:	757.0 KB ID:	354679
      Last edited by CMD; 03-04-2019, 09:21 PM.
      Rhode Island

Comment

Spectacular relics in this thread. Was the beach find example preserved in anyway? I have a lot of bone relics that came from the beach middens in the Caribbean, and they didn't really show any deterioration for the first several years but eventually humidity, salt imbedded in the relic, bacteria, fungus, etc. can sneak up on them.
        Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

• sarahsue
          sarahsue commented
          Editing a comment
          Have you tried the Dr. Gomer treatment for preserving your bone artifacts. Its a mixture of acetone and Duco glue. Cheap to make, and works.

• clovisoid
          clovisoid commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, I've been using Gomer's recipe for many years. I chatted with him about it after realizing some of my older finds were degrading over time.

• clambellies
          clambellies commented
          Editing a comment
          The harpoon my daughter's friend found hasn't had any treatment done to it. It is solid and hard and needs nothing at this time.

Thanks for the additional insight on the harpoons Jay, that is one of the things I was wondering about between the smaller and larger sizes, the picture helps explain a lot.

Comment

So interesting . I believe ivory could have been in there as posted . Think of the tusks not just from mammoths .

Comment

• Jethro355
            Jethro355 commented
            Editing a comment
            Yep.
            Walrus ivory was also used a lot. I’ve seen all kinds of things made from it by the Inuit.
            I wish I had taken pictures. 😕

• wmwallace
            wmwallace commented
            Editing a comment
            I believe Gomer's recipe is for bone preservation, I have a friend that is a shark tooth collector and he uses the Duco and Acetone treatment on them and he swears by it. Gomer is a genius on Artifact resto man_Bill
        Working...
        X