Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

About that pot I mentioned in the “chomping at the bit” thread...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About that pot I mentioned in the “chomping at the bit” thread...

I promised pics as I reconstructed it...so here goes. They aren’t great because I’ve either had brilliant 10,000 gigawatt sunlight or rain, with nothing in between. I’ll take some better ones as I go along...
    this is the good side of it, and one from the not so good side. It’s 6.5” tall, and 7” wide at the top.
    i will get some pics of the base as well, when I feel comfortable holding it upside down. It’s constructed in what my Grandpa would have called a “wompyjaw” fashion and May have been the reason it was in a trash pit instead of a burial. Looks more like what a third grader would make compared to the pottery found there years ago.
    Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Jethro. Man that's too cool. ...I get excited when I find 3 inch sherds...your doing a good job reconstructing it... keep posting pics man
    SW Connecticut

Comment

• Jethro355
      Jethro355 commented
      Editing a comment
      👍👍will do.

Any part of a bowl is good and to find that much is fantastic, good save.
    South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

• Jethro355
      Jethro355 commented
      Editing a comment
      I try my bestest.

Hey Jason, That is a beautiful artifact. Way to go man.
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• Jethro355
      Jethro355 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Ron.👍

Way cool find there!
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Nice save Jethro!
      If the women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Comment

Looks like it’s coming together nicely. What’s the age of it? That design on it if found in Georgia would be called punched not sure what is called in your area.
        NW Georgia,

Comment

• Jethro355
          Jethro355 commented
          Editing a comment
          I’d say from the actual place I found it that it’s middle to late Mississippian, from the construction and all...where it was on the site, etc.

I’ve heard it called Stippled, and also punctated, but I’ll look it up to see...

You done a nice job putting that back together........congrats.

Comment

• Jethro355
          Jethro355 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks, but I’ve got a long way to go. The unfinished side is rough...

Originally posted by SurfaceHunter View Post
        Looks like it’s coming together nicely. What’s the age of it? That design on it if found in Georgia would be called punched not sure what is called in your area.
        Here’s an example of what is known as Parkin Punctate, named for the famous Quapaw site where archaeologists believe the style originated. It’s about 25 miles north of our place, on the banks of the same river.
        i used this one in red because it’s easier to see ...

Comment

Wow Jethro , great job getting that back together . You are doing the bestest job . I like that punch style for the design . Kind of wonder what they used . You can tell it’s the same piece over and over just different pressure applied .
          Really a beautiful piece of history you have saved . Get online and start looking for a plexiglass box to put it in .
          Or a nice stand because that’s a stand out item my friend .

Comment

• Jethro355
            Jethro355 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Tam.
            I’m going to give it to my buddy Dan. I think he will like it a lot.

I have some pieces that were decorated in the same manner, but with the end of the fingernail being used. You can actually see the curvature of the nail, it’s really neat. You can even tell where they used different fingers because the nails are different sizes.

I believe it . I myself in making pottery did the same thing .This is decades before I knew the NA did it .
          Kind of fun to be connected to them like that . Your the first person to see this in how long and to see a humans marks on it is an experience in your mind in itself . Very cool ..

Comment

Punched pottery in this area of Georgia is one of the oldest forms of decoration. Hope you get to finish it
            NW Georgia,

Comment

Thanks man, I believe it will go back together pretty well. There may be a couple small pieces missing, but maybe not.

Comment

Working...
              X